How to use forcefield material?

I am attempting to achieve a cool effect for a barrier in my battleroyale game. I heard that you could get a cool effect for a part using the forcefield material on a mesh or part.

I watched this video, but I could find out how to make the effect.
Click here to see the video

It looks a little like this:

How can I achieve such a effect? I would be gratefull for any help!

6 Likes

You can attempt to create a hollow Spherical mesh, and make it can-collide off. Then set it to the forcefield material, here:

(It’s at the bottom of this menu)

EDIT: You might need to use textures like @The_Pr0fessor has said.

3 Likes

Well somone actuall achieved this effect using textures https://twitter.com/belownatural/status/1112050442677178369?lang=en
This wasnt the person i was thinking of their name was exadeer but you need textures with it

4 Likes

Put on the ForceField material, and then you make it as a mesh. Then add any texture to that!

Here is a video that will help you how to use the Forcefield material. He will explain it to you!

Forcefield material

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAAyXXa8qgE

3 Likes

@Hadiisepic and @The_Pr0fessor

Hi, could someone show me the setup, like how you do it.
Do I just use a normal mesh part or something else?

I tried with a normal mesh part and it was obviously not possible to change the material. When I then tried to have it inside a force field material part with a “special mesh” part inside and then change the mesh id and texture i did not get the cool effect where thing “move” (?).

Would be great if you guys could give me a thorough explanation step by step to achieve this!
Would be GREATLY appreciated, and would help me alot as well as many other devs i can imagine!

2 Likes

Yes you could and use unions or make one in blender.

1 Like

Yea you only use a SpecialMesh that has a texture and set the block’s material to forcefield. The trick is to use a texture that has much detail to make the effect more dynamic.

I made a sample with a soccer ball:
ForceFieldBall.rbxm (2.5 KB)

12 Likes

Thank you so much gui110, this will help me alot :smile:

Any tips for making the forcefield look good with normal lighting settings (that its not dark)

Anyways thank you alos for sharing your place with me!

Thank you also:
@Hadiisepic
@The_Pr0fessor
@jordonh23

3 Likes

One quick question, how did the dev (the one in the attached link below) manage to give the forcefield part a purple-ish color?

Do I just change the color of the part?

Twitter link

Thanks for answers: @jordonh23 @The_Pr0fessor @gui110 @Hadiisepic

1 Like

Yea, this is fairly simple; you have to go in the SpecialMesh properties and change the VertexColor.
:wink:

5 Likes

Can you change the color of a mesh? :exploding_head: :partying_face: I did not know that, damn!

Thanks for all the help @gui110 !
Greatly appreciated!

4 Likes