How to work efficiently and increase your productivity!

This tutorial will take a little more time, but believe me, it will be worth it. It will help you increase your productivity and use your time effectively using a simple yet incredible method - the Ivy-Lee-Method. I will start with a little story behind this method. It’s not a problem if you skip that section.

Story

At the beginning of the last century, Charles M. Schwab was one of the richest people in the world. But not because he had inherited a lot of money, but because he climbed the career ladder bit by bit as a simple employee. At the age of 41 he became president of Bethlehem Steel, the second largest steel producer in the world. But Schwab wanted even more. He wanted to motivate his employees to work twice as much in half the time. The problem was, he couldn’t do it alone, so he arranged an meeting with management consultant Ivy Lee. He demanded just 15 minutes with Schwab’s executives. When Schwab asked how much it cost, Ivy Lee replied: ‘‘We’ll meet again in 3 months. Then you can decide how much my advice was worth’’. Three months later both met again. Charles M. Schwab was so pleased that he wrote Lee a check for over $25,000, which is now worth about $400,000.

Now you’re probably wondering what Lee did in those 15 minutes worth $25,000.

What makes us ineffiecient?

Before starting we need to get to know, what makes us inefficient. Mainly there are two things: Procrastination and Inefficient working.

1. Procrastination

Let’s start with this one. Procastination comes from the latin word ‘procastinare’, which means ‘to postpone’. It describes the postponement of tasks that are later only completed under high pressure. Instead of continuing to work, we check our emails again and again or watch a YouTube video.

• 1.1 What causes Procastination?

When tasks seem too big or difficult, uncertainty arises. To reduce this, we turn to familiar things, such as reading emails.

2. Inefficient Working

I think that one is self-explanatory. Inefficient working is caused by Multitasking. The problem here is that although we can do several things at once, we can only focus on one thing. If we always interrupt the thing we want to do, it costs us a lot of time. Especially because we need about a minute to refocus on what we actually want to do.

The Ivy-Lee-Method

Now that we have covered all the reasons, we come to the actual topic of this tutorial. The method basically consists of 5 steps.

Step 1: Brainstorming

What tasks lie ahead today? Write down all the tasks and pick the 6 most important ones. If possible divide large projects into small, workable pieces.

Step 2: Setting Priorities

What’s the most important task? Put it at the top of the list. The second most important task gets number 2 on your list etc. . Lists give structure to your everyday life and thus avoid procastination.

Step 3: Implement Tasks

Directly start with your tasks! Don’t check your emails or watch a short video! A direct start will avoid Multifocus and ineffective working.

Step 4: Update List

At the end of the day, update your list! What tasks did you complete? Cross them of your list or put a tick on it. Now fill up the list again until you have a maximum of 6 points.

Step 5: Repeat

Repeat this process every day. Get routine in there!

Well, that’s technically everything. It is simple but nevertheless useful. For a better understanding, let me give you an example.

Example

The example deals with my day today. Not all points on my list are directly related to Roblox.

Step 1: Brainstorming

There are several tasks I wanted to do today.

• Writing this tutorial
  • Doing sports
  • Finish my project
    • fix bugs
    • make main script more efficient
  • Checking the forum for new replies
  • Making Thumbnails + Icons
  • Talk about our next project with my partner
  • Try to build something

I decided to cross out the last 2 points on my list, as they seemed the most unimportant to me. I count point 3 as 2 points, what makes 6 points in total. Perfect! :smiley:

Step 2: Setting Priorities

• Writing this tutorial
  • Doing sports
  • Finish my project
    • fix bugs

Writing this tutorial was definetly priority one on my list, ‘Checking the forum for new replies’ definetly the least important one. I have decided to put ‘Doing Sports’ on 2nd place, because sport helps me personally to get down. Afterwards I can concentrate much better. I usually jog for half an hour.

Step 3: Implement Tasks

Not much to say about this. I’m already implementing task one by writing now. :upside_down_face:

Step 4: Update List

I’ve still not reached that point :confused: But let’s say I finish this tutorial today and do sports. The next two points I would add would be

• Try to build something

My new list sorted by priorities:

• Finish my project
    • fix bugs
  • Try to build something

Step 5: Repeat

Well…, I’m already repeating.

That’s it for this tutorial :happy3:. I really recommend to use this method. It really helped me to bring structure into my life. Effective working is really essential for good developers, especially time management.

Feedback is really appreciated! Tell me wheter it worked for you or where you have issues. Maybe I can help out there too :happy4:!

52 Likes

Minor edit suggested for clarity, either:

Directly start with your tasks! Don’t check your emails or watch a short video! That will lead to Multifocus and ineffective working.

Or

Directly start with your tasks! This will avoid Multifocus and ineffective working. Don’t check your emails or watch a short video!

6 Likes

Really good advice to developers like me out there. Although I already have a similar system to yours by scheduling tasks, this is especially important to those who just started game development.

4 Likes