How would I create a Collision Group on the Client?

I’m trying to create a client-sided collision group, however I’m getting the error message “This API can only be used on the server!”. It’s making me want to punch a hole in my monitor

My code: PhysicsService:CreateCollisionGroup("group")

That means that you literally cannot use Collision Groups on the client. You have to do it on the server.

The link you sent doesn’t mention CreateCollisionGroup being usable on the client

Then what was the point of that being enabled?

That post was made January 2019. That was over 2 years ago. I just saw this on the PhysicsService page:

Not a good idea since exploiters can manipulate that lol. Roblox wants to prevent exploits not to encourage them.

2 Likes

We don’t plan to allow this method, or any collision group definition changes, from the client currently. We only allow parts to be assigned to groups and group definitions to be read on clients.

The names and configuration are all part of a single property internally. If you made changes on the client and then on the server the client changes would be overridden. Especially since it’s a finite set of 32 groups, currently referenced by index, any conflicts would be impossible to reconcile.

2 Likes

It’s been 3 years, where is this needed functionality? Your reasoning also sounds like an excuse mate. In order to handle complex situations you must remove limitations like these.

1 Like