How would I go about making a game icon?

Hello everyone!

I am a complete beginner at doing this sort of thing and have no idea what I am doing. I am trying to make a game icon but I have no idea what programme to use, stuff like that.

I would like to have something like this which I saw from another post just with different text and colours.image

And then a background similar to the one found in natural disaster survival. (I have seen other games with this background but I do not know if it has a specific name).image

Thank you so much for reading this, I am sorry if I’m just being a nuisance here since I know nothing about this type of thing.

5 Likes

It really depends what you can afford.
Most general GFX designers use a program called paint.net

If you’re going for something more advanced and you have the money, you can use Photoshop. The dimensions of a game icon is 512x512, so keep that in mind to avoid getting your icon resized and making it look awful.

You can then upload your game icon through Configure Place on the place you want to add the game icon to.

I’m no GFX artist, but there is a helpful tutorial on the Developer Hub:

And, there are surely plenty of helpful threads from professional artists on this forum, so a quick search will help you. :slight_smile:

It’ll take time to improve your skills, but as long as you’re willing to spend time, you’ll be guaranteed to improve.

9 Likes

Thank you for your help! I tried looking for a forum post on that same font of text but didn’t seem to find any. I will read through that post you sent, thanks again.

1 Like

What @Polyheximal said pretty much sums up everything you need to know, the design you were referring to however I typically call a sunburst design, you can find a similar pattern by searching “Rising Sun Pattern” for references. Good luck and keep us updated! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ooo, those kind of items have a ‘pop’ to them
SO. something a HIGHLY recommend is going at
https://www.dafont.com for fonts, there is a wide range of fonts but you will want fonts that are bubbly/cartoon looking.
You can then after typing the text you want it to be in that font you can add a shading to the text, and outline the text and add in other smaller details as you desire
(also keep the size of the icon 512x512

3 Likes

Yes, @Polyheximal gave me all the help I need and I am very thankful for that but it was just the pattern and the font I was having trouble finding, thanks for telling me!

1 Like

I’ll make sure to check that out, thanks a lot! Do I use Dafont also to add my outline and shading?

1 Like

DaFont gives you fonts to download.
You can add outline & shading in programs such as Photoshop, paint.net, etc.

2 Likes

Can you make a Game Icon for my game ill pay you 9 Robux it’s all i have rn

Im Waiting for someone to donate me