How would I go about making a global matchmaking system?

Hi, I’ve looked everywhere for something covering this, I’m not sure if this has been tried before or if it’s even possible but I’m looking at making a system where players can create and join parties when they are in the lobby place for a game with multiple places.

I can create the party part without any issues, but the problem rises when I want to allow the players to queue up for a match(which would take place in a server in one of the other places inside the game). I want there to be a lot of options open for players so that matchmaking would be fairly quick, and I think that allowing players to get into matches with players that are in different servers in the lobby would be the most user friendly experience.

I’m assuming to achieve this I’d have to create a table in a datastore that has a list of everyone queueing up so that it could be seen by all active servers. Am I correct in this assumption? What else should I try that would make this an optimal and user friendly experience?

1 Like

Have a look at the MessagingService

1 Like

Thanks! This looks helpful, although I’d have to experiment with it to get a better understanding. However, I’ve looked into it more and found a thread that mentions that Roblox is currently working on a way to better handle matchmaking. I’m not sure when it’ll be out but maybe it’s more worthwhile to wait for that before attempting this?

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve also been waiting for this to come out! The alternative would be Global scripts, but they’re currently “deferred” on the roadmap, so who knows when it’ll come out.

1 Like

Ahh, okay! Thanks for the help :slight_smile: Hopefully it comes out soon!

2 Likes

Indeed! Best of luck with your project!

2 Likes

Hi Kyle, not certain if you are still looking for an answer since message service doesn’t work when you upscale it. If you are looking here is my solution involving external server that can be upscaled hypothetically to any game size required.