How would I go about making abilities system?

Hello! So I’m planning on making a game and there will be abilities, like when you click mouse, click E and stuff. How would I go about this? A local script that handles all the keys clicked and a module script for all the abilities? I need some advice so this would turn out efficient and easy to customize.

5 Likes

so you would choose your ability and press a certain hotkey to activate it, or just each ability has its own hotkey to activate it?

2 Likes

I would recommend using ContextActionService (1) in a local script to detect the button the user is pressing. Use a RemoteEvent (2) and fire the RemoteEvent from the said local script, make sure you have a server script stored somewhere on the server side where you can make the actual ability script and from there you can begin on making an abilities system.

(1) https://developer.roblox.com/api-reference/class/ContextActionService
(2) https://wiki.roblox.com/index.php?title=Remote_Functions_%26_Events

3 Likes

Each ability has a different key.

well I guess since you’re making each ability to a different key, make a dictionary and set the index of each element as a keycode and the value of it would be the function (ability) in a module script from the server. Then you could listen for the InputBegan event of UserInputService and fire to the server in a RemoteEvent with the KeyCode as the argument and loop or iterate through the table to check if the KeyCode is equal to the KeyCode (index) of the ability. So I guess something like this-

server:

local event = game.ReplicatedStorage.RemoteEvent
local abilities = require(script.ModuleScript)
local abilityTable = {[Enum.KeyCode.E] = abilities.HealthBoost}

event.OnServerEvent:Connect(function(player, keycode)
	for key,ability in pairs(abilityTable) do
		if key == keycode then
			ability(player)

break
		end
	end
end)

modulescript:

local module = {}

function module.HealthBoost(player)
    print("test", player.Name)
end

return module

client:

local uis = game:GetService("UserInputService")
local event = game:GetService("ReplicatedStorage").RemoteEvent

uis.InputBegan:Connect(function(input)
    if input.UserInputType = Enum.UserInputType.Keyboard then
        event:FireServer(input.KeyCode)
    end
end)
16 Likes