How would I make a advanced ocean system?

I wondered how it would be possible to make a realistic ocean with features such as breaking waves, caustics, foaming of water, splashing of water, and the ability of the player and object to move with the waves.

Example of an advanced ocean system seen in Horizon Forbidden West

2 Likes

This is a very complex idea and I don’t think it’s currently possible to make one as realistic as the example, but I can try and help.

• You’re gonna wanna learn blender. It’s going to be used for making the main ocean mesh.

• Use blender rigging to create a rig with a lot of bones that you can use for animating. You can search up a tutorial for basic blender animation rigging, animating, and exporting to roblox.

• For foam and texture, try to use texture painting in blender. There are simple tutorials online.

• Make a separate wave mesh, and repeat the steps above for that one, but instead make it a wave.

• Import to roblox, stylize, add particles, etc.

• For players and objects to move with the waves, you can use something like velocity or body velocity to move objects and players with the waves.

• For caustics, just use a particle effect, texture, or beam. It’s almost impossible to simulate it.

I hope this helps!

3 Likes