How would i make a Shirt Instance Work in a Custom Character?

You can write your topic however you want, but you need to answer these questions:

1. What do you want to achieve?

So i want to put clothes to this boi:

2022-04-17 (2)

Which contains 6 Body Parts (Meshes that i modeled… or just squares that contains Bevel modifier in Blender.)

2022-04-17 (3)

1. What is the issue?

But the Shirt Instance isn’t working for him

(And yes i did put a Shirt Template in the Shirt Id)

1. What solutions have you tried so far?

Tried renaming each Body Parts the same with an R6 Dummy (“Left Leg”, “Right Arm”, You probably get the idea)

But

No luck, didn’t work

I thought of making parts as clothes but it doesn’t feel right.

Soooo any help is appreciated

2 Likes

This is quite complicated for me to explain, but you want to get the image from the shirt/pants assets (can be done by just triyng to set a decal’s id to the shirt/pants id), once you have the image id, you apply it to the mesh’s TextureID, which you would probably have UV-wrapped in blender beforehand

1 Like

I would recommend to try out the new layered clothing on that boi. Also, it looks very cute!

1 Like

So it means i can use a custom template but i have to uv wrap it first to the mesh before i exporting it as an obj?

If that’s the case how am i going to make a texture apply to multiple parts (Torso, Left and Right Arm), Do i have to export the Torso, Left and Right Arm as a group?

And if that’s an other casee thennn how am i going to separate them as Torso, Left Arm, and Right Arm, and would the texture still work?

1 Like

If you just uv-map it correctly in blender, with any shirt & pants (literally just has to look normal), then you can export them seperately and they will work as normal.

For the mapping part, i would suggest you make sure the uv-map gets as close to the edge of the texture, you can use something like snapping to pixel corners.

For applying the shirt/pants you first have to get the image id of them, as i explained earlier, by setting the shirt/pants id to any decal/imagelabel, then the decal/imagelabel corrects the shirt/pants id to a texture id, you set the MeshParts, aka the limb’s TextureID, to the id the decal/imagelabel gives you.

This should work as a way to apply shirt/pants textures to a custom model.

1 Like

layered would look out of place- and also i want players to make their own clothes by giving them a template for it and them making clothes over it.

And yes im trying to make it appealing to all ages- not too childish and too serious

Its just mah bois looking inappropriate-

alright will try, hopefully it works haha, ill show what i did so far when its done

If it turns out not working for you, you can send the .blend file to me and i will see if i can do something about it, but i think you would be able to do it without any further problems.

will do, thanks again, solo dev sucks

As long as it has a Humanoid, shirts and pants should work. Have you set the RigType property of the humanoid to R6? Because this rig only has 6 body parts, which are named correctly for R6.

Yup, i did set it to r6.

I think maybe its cause its body parts are made out of mesh? which im trying to fix by UV mapping the texture of it as Crypted says.

1 Like

I managed to make it work buuuut it seems like textureId doesnt support transparency?

That black part supposed to be a Transparent Area

I think you can just set the transparency to a very small value and it should act like a cutout thing, or you could try making a transparency mask and use SurfaceAppearance

did research for it but oh well its too hard for roblox to implement that thing.

SurfaceAppearance does no use either, cant change the value using scripts which is obviously needed for customization kind of thing

If you’d like to use Humanoids with Shirt and Pants instances, I’ve documented what the UV map should like like here:

I was able to make custom arms, legs, and heads and stick them on existing R6 and R15 models. R6 and R15 each have a different UV map format to follow.

I saw this post when I was looking for existing documentation, so I figured I’d come back and help you out!

Yup i did fix it, im just figuring out now a work around for a transparent texture to be see-through for clothing

Shirts and Pants on humanoids should support transparent textures.

I think right now you’re not using Shirts and Pants, right? Are you assigning the mesh’s Texture property to the shirt or pants texture instead? It might be possible to get transparency working that way but I’m not sure. You might have to do something really funky like laying a .001 transparency part (for mesh transparency) over a non-transparent part (opaque for skin color).

If you UV map your body parts for generated humanoid clothing textures then it should support normal skin-color-behind-clothing transparency like humanoids. This is not the same as UV mapping them for the Shirts and Pants textures. You could look into UV mapping your body parts for clothing if you can’t get transparency working with your current method of doing things.

1 Like

Yes, since putting shirts inside a humanoid and assigning its Id doesn’t work, even tho i think i uv mapped each body part correctly

With R6 characters you might need to use a CharacterMesh instead of using actual MeshParts. When using a CharacterMesh, you have normal Parts for the character’s body parts then set the mesh id in 5 CharacterMeshes to match your mesh ids.

The resources post I linked correctly UV maps some meshes for use with both R6 clothing and R15 clothing.

The zip file in the resources post I linked includes a dummy character that uses CharacterMeshes and an annotated template clothing that you could start with. You can also insert an R6 character with CharacterMeshes using the “Create Rig” built-in plugin.

If you need to use actual MeshParts and want skin color to show under clothes textures, you can do one of the following:

• Make an R6 character with CharacterMeshes for visuals only – disable CanCollide and CanTouch on all of its parts and weld it to your real, MeshPart-based, invisible character model.
  • Make it an S15 character with skinned meshes (i.e. bendy meshes). This probably fits your characters better than R15’s old rigid joints.
  • Make it an R15 character, but use only your own animations so that it looks like an R6 character.
  • Make an R15 character, but build your meshes for rigid joints.
  • Don’t use real humanoid clothing (like you’re doing now), and use two layers of parts to layer a mesh-with-clothing over a skintone-colored mesh. I gave a more detailed suggestion for this in my last post.
1 Like