How would you create reflecting water (Custom Non-Terrain)

Recently a video has popped up onto my feed, this video showed some exquisite waves that ive never seen the likes of on roblox before,

These waves had one specific property however that i am very curious on how it was achieved, and that’s the reflections.

(All credit to @dabidarZ in the image)

As you can see in the image, the waves are reflecting a very clear picture of the clouds and lighting.

If any of you know, how would you achieve this effect and what lighting settings is best used to achieve this effect.

I’m also curious whether or not this is actually a shader being used (3rd party software to enhance visuals)

To note, I am not looking at how the waves are made (as in the shape), or the different varying colors across the surface, i am simply looking for how the reflections where achieved.

No its not terrain, its a skinned mesh gestner wave using animated pbr sequence

If it’s non-terrain then can’t you just turn up the reflectance? That will reflect the sky exactly like you explained.

If you want it to reflect other parts i think that can be done with atmosphere or another instance inside of lighting.

Its not using terrain, and its not as simple as a parts ‘reflectance’ since its using a pbr texture/material.

Mainly looking for just reflections of the sky,

PBR can create very reflective surfaces lol.

2 Likes

Ive tried even using a plain white metalness map, but most things i try dont reflect the clouds, and only reflect the sun/sun rays (like bits of bright light)

1 Like

This video could probably help with achieving a better reflectiveness effect

Im not looking for ssr, or the usage of engine bugs (as shown in that video), I just want an example PBR/layout for having those ‘warped’ reflections of the sky.

I dont think you could crank up PBR reflectiveness that high to reflect the sky like a mirror, SSR seems like a better bet if u ask me.

Problem is you cant have the water ripples with the SSR effect, you cant make the surface feel ‘bumpy’

I have been doing some research into the waves and water DabidarZ made, and I believe DabidarZ is using editable meshes. This currently is a beta feature in roblox studio. I have a hunch that DabidarZ is also using editable images as well. (Also a beta feature, I think)