How would you end streets?

Im currently making a game, and it’s been only 10 mins.

Im already at a struggle, and like to know how you end roads.

Screenshot 2021-04-02 230439

because I really dont want to end it with this free model and a bad background.

5 Likes

Maybe a Forest?, or the better option is a beach

3 Likes

You can have it lead into a tunnel

8 Likes

Depends on the setting. Personally I would make it under construction. I’d be cool to model and put together, it’s an easy(ish) workaround, and it makes your city feel more alive imho.

1 Like

Try and lead it into a tunnel, I usually do that.

1 Like

For me the best option is to make a tunnel…

I don’t usually like the use of tunnels, it limits vision and makes things a little more claustrophobic. Try some open road options like single turn or a T-section in the end of the road with some roadblocks, depending on what environment setting it is.

Alternatively, you can creatively use some road construction work, police blockades or anything else that works in the right context.

2 Likes

This is the same problem that my friend (cyberpiper) and I have faced, when building a Victorian city.

These are some of the solutions that we have used, in two different constructions of the same city streetscape:

Place a closed gate at the end of the road:

Place an obstacle at the end of the road, and use distant images to create a sense of distance:

Place an activity at the end of the road. Here, the smoke from the fire also helps obscure the fact that the road ends here.

Continue the road further out, beyond the transparent border wall, with low poly items that lead off into the distance.

Place a fallen tree to obstruct movement:

This last example shows a combination of some of these effects:

Good luck with your build. It will be interesting to see how you also tackle this. Despite the above images, I don’t feel that I have successfully tackled this issue to the best that I can achieve, so you’ll probably inspire me to add further ideas to my own build. :wink:

11 Likes

Depends on what game you’re trying to make. This method won’t work for everyone but adding an artificial layer of fog might work by placing about 10 parts, and decreasing the transparency as you go on.

Worked for me in this showcase thing I made last year:

2 Likes

You could make a cul-de-sac, like this:
In my experience, it works with any type of city, and it’s a clean way to end a street without it being awkward.

3 Likes

Perspective is one of the hardest things to do in game design. I recommend you make the road turn then put something to cover its end after the turn. Alternatively, just make a fade.

1 Like

a lot of games solve this by adding an invisible barrier then carrying the map on for a bit into the distance so u cant see the end

1 Like

Make a tunnel that’s dark inside that you can’t enter

1 Like

I would just make an infinite terrain practical effect then put the fog end to something good and then ride the road into the fog. Worked pretty well so far for me.