How would you handle coop in a roguelite?

I am a big fan of top-down roguelites such as Enter the Gungeon or Soul Knight. I am thinking of doing such a game. I was scrambling through the possibilities with my co-workers and we decided we would like to make the game incentivize exploration, by having players spread and go onto other rooms.

I am having trouble figuring out how to implement a co-operative mode that prevents trolls and still incentivizes exploration. I am also concerned that whatever solution I find, such as a timer to get to the boss (which would let players advance into another floor), will not make sense with the game’s theme.

I am looking for creative ways I could make all this stitch together. Thanks in advance for answering, I will be looking forward to hearing your suggestion and answering any questions you people might have!

1 Like

I feel like games are just bound to have people who troll no matter what, so it’s hard to prevent such a thing, LOL. But I love this idea you have for your game.

I think a timer is a good idea for encouraging people to explore and get to their main goal, but maybe with each floor they advance to, they gain/add a certain amount of time to the timer, like how some games do their “reach the goal before the time limit” challenges. That way, it doesn’t truly rush the players to not explore, since they need to find the stairs to the next level, but it also rewards them for finding it.

Oh… An overall timer could fit well with a game theme too! Definitely works!

While we had no answer, I was discussing this with my co-workers and it kinda struck me - what if players had to clear the entirety of the floor to get to the boss? I am just unaware as to how this transition, let it be by going into another room or having a cutscene.

Do you have any ideas for what kind of setting this game would fit into? Let it be players travelimg through time, or conquering other worlds?

1 Like

I think traveling through time would be really cool!

1 Like