How would you make a baseplate use a checkered pattern?

So I have seen this kind of baseplate in multiple games before and I have always wondered how you’d do it.

This is what it would look like:

7 Likes

to do this you have to use textures

3 Likes

But that makes it low quality, in the games I have seen it, it’s really high quality.

Pretty sure you would just import a checkerboard decal to roblox then insert the ID into a texture. Decals are different from Textures because Decals don’t repeat patterns like textures.

3 Likes

Feedback

I believe that the baseplate portrayed in your image was hand-crafted.

1 Like

Could you send a model to me?

That would be appriciated.

Or just tell me how you did it

If you don’t like how it looks in a texture, why don’t you try with a surface gui?

You could either insert a texture into the game, or you could insert a block, and then put the bloom effect on it to have a glow on the block.

How to place parts, change its material, change its colour, how to move a part, how to duplicate a part tutorial

Step #1: Click the roughly circled thing that is labelled “Part”.

Step #2: Change the underlined thing labelled “Size” to three integers of which are equilivant.

Step #3: Move the part out of the ground.

Step #4: Duplicate the part using “Ctrl+D” and move it out of the original part.

Step #5: Change the colour and material to the colour and material you desire.

Step #6: Repeat the pattern using “Ctrl+D” until you are satisfied.

Step #7: Acknowledge the fact that you have probably wasted half an hour of your own time when you could’ve used a texture. Dang it; what have I done!?

I spent forty-five minutes making this tutorial to please appreciate it. :smile:

Note: If this is that answer you needed, feel free to mark this with the “Solution” thing to make me happy. :white_check_mark: :heart:

6 Likes

Maybe you can try making it smooth every single different part, and then group it. Make 4 and copy and paste it again, I’m guessing like that?

You can make a mesh part, it has no texture at first, then set the material to diamondplate, make it green and anchor, done.

Ending result: (P.S it’s small, not the size of the baseplate)

15 Likes

I am pretty sure 99% of developers know how to do this.
Use a decal or texture.
Or a MeshPart if you want.

Using a MeshPart is the fastest solution.

That makes it low quality aswell lol

1 Like

Using a texture does not make it low quality. You are misinterpreting what they meant. You literally just use an image with 2 squares on opposite corners, the rest being transparent, and then upload it to roblox. If the image is bigger than 400 or so pixels it will NOT be low quality. Put it into a texture object, and set the tile size to be about 8.