HTTP 400 Bad Request when uploading images that are too big

When I try to upload decals or icons that are too large in terms of file size, the website will send me to a 400 page.

This doesn’t make it immediately clear to me that the image I’m trying to upload has a file size that is too large. The expected behavior is an error message that tells me the problem with what I’m uploading. Because this did not happen, I needed to waste time trying to debug the problem.

I ran into this bug today when I tried to upload some decals, but it has been happening for a long time.

You can reproduce this issue by generating a 5k x 5k px image full of noise and attempting to upload it, or using another image file of large size (12+ MB?).

After trying to upload

After pressing back (it redirects almost immediately back to the 400 page)

After trying to change the icon of a plugin to an image that is too big

4 Likes

Cannot reproduce.
Please try disabling all extensions you’re currently using, or try this in an incognito session / another browser without extensions enabled.

But if it also doesn’t work in studio when I upload a plugin icon doesn’t that mean its not a browser issue?

That’s not what you described in your thread?

This bug prevents me from uploading decals through the Roblox website, but it works when I upload decals on studio.

Please make sure your thread is accurate and you’re providing sufficient information. Performing basic troubleshooting will help narrow down the problem.

Have you tried a different name for the asset? Sometimes the filter can return odd error messages when uploading assets.

Can you open devtools and take a look at the console and network request’s details, and corresponding response for any clues? If you share screenshots, be careful you obscure your cookie or any strings you’re unsure are safe to share.

If this doesn’t work in Studio either, do you have another computer on the same network that you can try? Maybe your network is the problem.

1 Like

Seems to work on my phone on a different network :huh:

Still doesn’t work on my PC for some reason. I’ve tried turning off extensions, using a different browser, using a different file name.

Edit: I tried using a different image and it worked :shock: I got this error
image , guess it’s too large :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Having the same issue. Anyone figure out a fix?

Reduce the pixel count or make the image size
smaller.

Happening to me, tho it can’t be file size.
These are 600x600 pixels, give or take, and I’ve uploaded most of the set already, all within that same size.
Wonder what’s causing it.

I’m producing a similar issue, though I don’t think it has to do with file size. I was able to upload the file via studio’s mass import feature however.

The image in question was this one:

1 Like

The website outage from yesterday is unrelated. I’m still experiencing the issue described even right now.

Here’s a gif:
64AVz79cjM

2 Likes

I’m still not able to finish uploading the stuff I need.

1 Like

Sorry to revive the post but I am having the same issue. The problem isn’t the file size or the resolution because I have uploaded decals with the same resolution and 2 times the file size of the decal I am uploading right now

1 Like

I think I found the solution I tried uploading the same image from studio and it gives me an error:
and after I changed the name of the decal to something else it fixed the issue.

Please mark the reply as the solution so it helps out more people having the same issue @ZacBytes

1 Like

Change it just to body. As bodyshot could be considered inappropriate in some terms.