I have checked with some others and I am not the only one having this issue.
As the browser suggested, I have tried clearing my cookies and reloading. I have tried using the dev console to do a hard reload. And I have tried accessing the website through three browsers (chrome, firefox, edge). All of the above I have done a couple times per day for two or three days now.
So, I believe the more likely answer is that the website must be giving a redirect loop for certain users. I could be wrong, and maybe it’s something I’m doing but if it is I honestly don’t know what.
At the time of writing this bug report, developer.roblox.comandrobloxdev.comandwiki.roblox.comand any other domain were not working. However, I am no longer at my home (currently in a hotel) and the website is now working. Because of this I belive it must be something with the WiFi at my home. Still not quite sure what though, and I do know others are having the same issue.
edit: originally I said nothing had changed with my internet, forgetting I’m now in a hotel