Huge virus in our game, help please!

I got onto Roblox studio today and started working on scripts as usual, but I noticed the script editor lagging intensely. I already have a clear idea of what the script is probably doing, but it isn’t in a very standard format, so I can’t see exactly what it does.

I then looked through others scripts and found that the exact same virus was in every single server script and module script in the entire game, no matter the location. The issue is, this is an obby game, and every single kill part has a kill script in it (I didn’t make it :stuck_out_tongue: ). That means I have found several hundred scripts each with the same virus in it.

I have already spent a good 15 minutes going through and deleting the virus, but I want to eliminate it from the source instead of temporarily fixing it.

Here is a screenshot of the virus. Note that it lags the script editor like crazy:

What I could REALLY use some help with is identifying and learning the solution to stopping the virus in the future.

Thank you so much, Devs!

3 Likes

Try disabling all of your plugins and then delete all the scripts.

Try finding the big script and delete that, then delete every script that causes the virus in the part.

Before doing that disable all your plugins!

There are only scripts that I personally coded or my partner coded, so I know that it didn’t originate at any of those scripts…

disable all plugins, restart studio.

Already done, will spend some time deleting the viruses out of 300 scripts now :slight_smile:

Hello! You can press CTRL + SHIFT + F and search for the following stuff:

getfenv
sendfenv
setfenv
require

Also, you can search in the “Explorer” some viruses with these names:

infection
virus
Infected
infec
Hello
omg
lord
vaccine
I’m your
Guest Talking Script
Guest_Talking_Script
mario
4DBeing
Spread
Fire

These are common names of viruses in the assets. If you find those, then delete them immediately!

Hope this helps!

1 Like

I know exactly where to find the virus in each script, but it is a pain to delete it because of both the lag and how many scripts there are. I honestly may just make a quick plugin that gets rid of all that stuff.

Edit: Thanks for that shortcut, I actually didn’t know that one. What a lifesaver :slight_smile:

1 Like

Although not really related to removing the virus, i recommend making 1 main script that makes bricks named “KillBricks” (Or whatever you want it to be) automatically kill you when you touch them.
I use this in my game, and it’s actually really helpful.

No problem!

Also one tip:

If you have a lot of malicious scripts with the same name you can use this command, just put it in the command bar:

for i,v in ipairs(game.Workspace:GetDescendants()) do if v:IsA("Script") and v.Name == "VirusNameHere" then v:Destroy() end end

I normally do this, but I was on vacation when my partner made this and he just followed the roblox dev tutorial

No the virus is actually just something inside of every single script. I will just create a quick plugin that I can use in the future for when each virus has the same code :slight_smile:

Edit: When I mean inside of every script, the virus doesn’t have it’s own script it hides itself in the other scripts

1 Like

If you know the name of the script you can run this in command bar:

for i , v in pairs(workspace:GetDescendants()) do
if v:IsA("Script") and v.Name == NameHere then
v:Destroy()
end
end

Use a antivirus plugin (GameGuard)

GameGuard can detect all virus with genfenv, setfenv, require and this type of commands that can give virus and is really easy to use

(I recommend disable all the others plugins while make that and see all your plugins, because this virus is a plugin virus)

1 Like