Humanoid body part color forced to black

• Describe the bug. Describe what is happening when the bug occurs. Describe what you would normally expect to occur.

I’ve received many reports from Adopt Me players that all humanoids within their game are rendering body parts as black even though they should be colored.

This bug applies to NPCs as well:

All the screenshots I’ve received are from mobile players. I’m not sure if this is a coincidence.

• Where does the bug happen (www, gametest, etc) Is it level-specific? Is it game specific? Please post a link to the place that exhibits the issue.
6 Likes

I’ve witnessed this issue recently, I was only able to observe this while changing an avatar’s clothing in-game, but this does not apply to all clothing. As per observation, this visual glitch does not occur on all clients and mostly affects mobile players.

When did you start getting reports? What phone models has this been observed on?

If you join Adopt Me on one of these phones, when does the bug show up? Is the bug visible as soon as you join the game, or does something trigger it during gameplay? When the bug is visible, does it affect 100% of the avatars in game or only a few?

I was only able to observe this while changing an avatar’s clothing in-game, but this does not apply to all clothing.

@wevetments what did you observe? The bug showed up only on characters when they changed their clothing in-game?

As per observation, yes. This however does not only apply to mobile devices, I know someone was able to observe this on their pc while I was changing my clothing in-game.

@Homeomorph Edit:
I did not see the visual glitch though, only the mentioned person

1 Like

It’s still useful to know what devices this has been observed on in case this bug is device specific.
@wevetments Can you share your computer specs including OS version, and graphics card?

Computer

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro, 64 Bit - Version 1903
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 770
DirectX: 12
RAM: 32 Gb
Roblox Version: 1.6.3.39169

Mobile

Model: iPhone 7 Plus
Operating System: iOS 12.2
Roblox Version: 2.383.299732

The specs above is the hardware of the PC and mobile that was used when the glitch was witnessed, I have not encountered this bug yet on my other PC.

I believe I started receiving reports ~3 weeks ago. I haven’t been able to replicate it on my samsung galaxy s10, but a lot of our players are indicating that this happens for them: x.com

Clarification:

I might have made it unclear, but I was also trying to say that I think this bug happens with certain clothing only, particularly shirts. So my guess right now is that there is an issue with how the character wraps certain clothing to avatars which creates a black mask on the transparent areas of that shirt/pants rendering the body as black instead of the true body colour.

This is like the Minecraft skin issue when you save your skin as a non png file and trying to set your skin to that will create a white mask over the transparent areas of the skin. This might not be the same case, but it’s the first thing that came up in my mind.

Are there any updates on this? As mobile-first game, we’re receiving complaints from a significant proportion of our player base

We’re currently trying to reproduce this on devices your users reported on Twitter.

1 Like

I tried playing Adopt Me! on my phone for the first time recently and encountered this.

The bug is visible as soon as I spawn my character in the game, and it affects 100% of the avatars in the game.

Phone specs:
Model: Samsung A5
Roblox version: 2.409.358770

4 Likes

We tried to reproduce this on several affected devices but had no luck. How often does this happen on your device? How long were you in-game before everyone turned black? If this doesn’t happen every time, any extra info about what was happening before/while the bug was observed might help us narrow it down.

2 Likes

I can reproduce it 100% of the time, but the only game I’ve been able to reproduce it in is Adopt Me.

From the first second I can see my character when it spawns after clicking a role in the image below, everyone’s characters are black.

Others’ avatars don’t load in the background on this screen unfortunately, so I can’t tell if the bug is related to clicking these menus and it changing my avatar.

3 Likes

I was able to reproduce this on another game that involved players changing their character, however the last time I ever played that game was several months ago so I have no update regarding this issue whatsoever.
@Homeomorph
I will check out the place again and try to give more information regarding this.

1 Like

We’ve been seeing more reports of this bug within the past couple months from mobile users only. All of the reports claim that the loading screen in Adopt Me doesn’t appear when this bug happens.

One user claims they encounter the issue about 50% of the time when joining any Roblox game on their Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

Another report claims they’ve been having the issue consistently since 2019 on their Samsung Galaxy A8.

1 Like

I encountered this too, in my game. I’m not sure what caused it.

I’ve seen it happen on computer and console too.

So, it’s happening in my game, but only on specific people and usually after a round ends.

I believe this was never actually fixed because the cause was never really identified (I assume because we never got a formal response for the solution). In my previous reply, I was not able to reproduce the issue, however I have additional information at this time that might help narrow down the cause.

Based on my observations, this rarely occurs on games that have these features:

• In-Game Character Editor (Appearance Updates in Real-time)
  • Streaming is Enabled
  • Playable on Older/Lower-end Devices (?)

Some theoretical features:

• Animated/Moving UI (?)
  • Delayed Character Spawning (?)
  • Custom Character Loading/Handling (Characters get unloaded from and loaded into each client with developer control)

Items marked with (?) are theoretical since I don’t have a proper testing environment.

Previously, I said this only happens when a character changed their clothing in-game, but I have some theories and realizations now that say otherwise.

The bug is present even before a character’s appearance is changed. This could mean that a character doesn’t need to update its appearance for the bug to occur. So that eliminates the character editor and animated/moving UIs. The game where I encountered this 2 years ago did not have any custom character handling or logic, so that is also eliminated. That leaves us to 2 possible causes.

It’s possible that it may have something to do with characters being in regions that were streamed out, unloaded, or not yet loaded into the client when a player joins. In my observation, characters are teleported to far places marking other regions to be unstreamed. In Adopt Me!, players are teleported to their houses away from the lobby, in what I experienced 2 years ago, players teleport to the far ends of the map. The effects of streaming are more evident on lower-end devices which may explain why most cases happen on mobile devices. This is a factor that developers have barely any control over when this was reported and even until now. It could explain why this happens even on the Suburban game template(the game where I encountered this on) with a few minor modifications such as enabling Streaming and an In-game character editor.

My theory is strongly pointing towards streaming because I’m not aware of any other loading and unloading system in the engine. I also encountered a bug with Streaming 2 years ago which may be related to this issue. I’d like to admit that I may be completely wrong, but I guess it wouldn’t hurt to give an idea.

1 Like

Everything you said is accurate. I’m running into these issues with my current project which has StreamingEnabled enabled and has an in-game avatar editor.