Humanoid.WalkSpeed should allow negative numbers not be clamped when set below 0

This used to be a feature, but has been reverted. This has broken games where instances of reversed controls occur.

Negative walkspeed is a needed feature because there is no other way to easily invert the movement controls for certain kinds of game effects (like applying “confusion” to a player) without remapping controls, which is a complex way to achieve something so simple.

62 Likes

Please fix, breaking stuff in my game as well because I multiply the walkspeed by -1 to inverse the controls of the player and then multiply by -1 again to restore them (but this just goes to 0 now).

3 Likes

[quote=“buildthomas, post:2, topic:23430, full:true”]Also @Polyhex Every bug should be in a subcategory
[/quote]Ah, fixed it. Thought I posted in Client Bugs but I just had the tag selected.

1 Like

Moved to Client Bugs. The line on whether or not this is a client bug is a bit iffy, though. Regardless, hope this is corrected by April Fools Day!

yeah I used this along with a blind effect for maximum disorientation

fix pls

2 Likes

I have features in my game that I had to disable (and are still disabled) because of this change breaking how they work.

Could it preferably be undone? Or could a staff member confirm if it’s staying this way?

It’s still an issue and I still have to disable stuff in my game because of it. I’m assuming that this was an on-the-fly change and therefore the impact of the change was not properly investigated. There are quite a few games that made use of this property of walkspeed, and also a few ROBLOX gears that make use of it as a disorientation effect. Those gears should be broken now too.

I would really like to know if it is staying this way or if I have to start doing hacky stuff with ContextActionService to simulate negative walkspeed behaviour. I personally can’t think of any reason why negative walkspeed should have to be clamped to zero.

7 Likes

I’d like to bump this because I still don’t know if this is a bug, or if it’s intended and that I should make a workaround using ContextActionService (which would be really really really really hacky for something so simple).

1 Like

You don’t really have to do anything hacky, just a bit of editing to the player scripts. For example, to make controls reversed all the time, you would just change adjustedMoveValue to -adjustedMoveValue here

It would still be nice if WalkSpeed wasn’t clamped though, for all the old games that use this.

10 Likes

That’s true, but then I won’t get any automatic updates to those scripts anymore because I have overridden them. I’ll think about that solution though for now, thanks.

4 Likes

Also just noticed this change. I have a used-to-be-popular game that uses negative walkspeed for a reverse controls mode, that still gets a very limited amount of users who still play. One of them just messaged me about the reverse controls mode not working so I looked into it and discovered this walkspeed clamp. Have we heard anything back from roblox staff about this yet???

EDIT: I was able to fix this with thegamer’s suggestion. Still find it odd that the they would remove negative walkspeed though.

4 Likes

This did kind of break one of my games

cc @CodeWriter

3 Likes

Why is this still not fixed? this sneaky lil thing broke one of my friends games

7 Likes

@CodeWriter
It’s still broken >:

Yep, I too liked to make use of this feature

@CodeWriter or another appropriate staff member: any thoughts on removing this restriction, or could the wiki be updated to reflect this change? This was an easy way to invert movement without having to replace the default movement scripts, so it would be great to have it back. Could you (or anyone) also let us know why this change was made in the first place?

1 Like

Just talked about this with people, surprised nothing has been said after so long.
Would be nice if this isn’t limited as it used to be and easy to use without creating our own input system / modifying core player scripts.

2 Likes

If this change was intended it should be reflected on the wiki @UristMcSparks @cowbear16

4 Likes

This is an unnecessary, arbitrary change, and should be reverted imo. Brings more harm than good.

5 Likes