Humanoid:ApplyDescription lingers and breaks Character LocalScripts

Hi. Humanoid:ApplyDescription seems to have lingering actions for some frames after it is completed.

LocalScripts instanced after completion, but on the same frame, will not fire when replicated to client.
Also. It completely breaks UserInputService.JumpRequest on any LocalScript parented to the character afterwards. No signals fire.

The first issue is fixable by waiting for one frame before parenting the scripts.
However, the second issue is only resolved by avoiding it- the first player spawn will have JumpRequest work properly. So we’d have to move JumpRequest to scripts outside of the character, or never actually kill the character.

Player:LoadCharacter() works fine also, but for my game case to modify the StreamingMode of certain player characters I want to use a pre-stored proxy of the R15 model to load them in as the property is not scriptable. To fully clarify, I am just inserting a model, running Player:GetHumanoidDescriptionFromUserId(my.UserId) and humanoid:ApplyDescription(), then setting this model to be their character.

(no repo provided! this took 2 hours too long to diagnose)

1 Like

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

1 Like

if possible, it’s be great if you could provide a repro place file. If not, could you explain, or give a code sample for how you are

setting this model to be their character

Also, ApplyDescription() mainly is swapping body parts. If you do this manually do you get the same problems?

JumpRequest does have known issues. Do you see the same issues if you swap body parts manually?

1 Like

here is the repo- the only difference i’m experiencing in this repo versus my main game is that jumprequest now doesn’t work on the initial spawn either.

repo_humanoiddesc_bug.rbxl (81.2 KB)

toggle waitproperly to see behaviour of first bug, second bug behaviour always visible.

i have no idea if it’s the limbs, just haven’t delved that far.
if it helps- when i load a player outfit that has custom limbs, or custom head, or whether i load one which is just bodycolors + default shirt/pants/face there is no change in dysfunctionality for both issues.

2 Likes