HumanoidDefaultAssets Folder to be Removed from StarterPlayer

I mean, barely anyone knew the purpose of that folder. I doubt one could rely on it, other than Roblox’s core scripts.

2 Likes

That uses hidden properties inside StarterPlayer.

3 Likes

The folder only appears when the game is running, so that’s why you don’t see it.

1 Like

yes, correct, this is why i’m making the change

6 Likes

I think I’ve see this folder before but I barley use it.

F in the chat for the folder lol.

2 Likes

The CEO of HumanoidDefaultAssets has spoken.

Anyways, after taking a look inside of what this folder contains and how it operates I completely agree with its removal. Its existence seems redundant and it’s a good thing that this clutter is being disposed of :+1:

6 Likes

Slightly related issue - will you be bringing back the ability to test in R6 without publishing to Roblox? Currently, loading an R6 character model into the StarterCharacter is very cumbersome and not a very good solution.

14:00:45.522  The current identity (4) cannot GameSettingsAvatar (lacking permission 5)  -  Edit
14:00:45.522  Stack Begin  -  Studio
14:00:45.522  Script 'game.StarterPlayer.GameSettingsAvatar = Enum.GameAvatarType.R6', Line 1  -  Studio
14:00:45.522  Stack End  -  Studio

This can be done by saving to .rbxlx, going inside, and changing <token name="GameSettingsAvatar">1</token> to <token name="GameSettingsAvatar">0</token>.

8 Likes

Were will it be moved tho? I use this every week or so and i hope you can still find it :writing_hand:(◔◡◔)

2 Likes

They’re saying this folder will be completely removed, you will not be able to access it anymore.

2 Likes

it will not be in the hierarchy anymore. you won’t be able to use it anymore. what do you use it for? Please let me know if this change will break any games you have in a way that you can’t fix

4 Likes

honestly ive seen this folder in play testing when i was looking for a way to make custom animations (already figured it out so no worries), but i never knew the purpose of this folder at all lol

2 Likes

I don’t even know if HumanoidDefaultAssets folder even existed up until this topic. This is a good update because developers won’t depend it on the future which could cause even bigger problems in the long run.

2 Likes

Oh, I have seen it; I just never really looked into it.

3 Likes

We get a huge announcement on something not everyone knows or cares about, yet when you change games to discover you don’t make a post about it.

Yeah I still don’t know what this update is for.

1 Like

I use this for putting animations in to play them later in game, I guess i can just put it in the players humanoid but the folder makes it easier.

1 Like

To let people know its gonna be gone so they don’t rage i think.

2 Likes

yes, that works as an alternate approach. Please let me know if you have any problems

2 Likes

This topic seems rather unclear…
Do you mean that the default Starter folders, such as StarterCharacter, Humanoid, and whatever else is available is to be removed?

If so, I highly disagree with this update, I use these to quickly prototype character assets and settings and load default data.

What tools are suggested to replicate this functionality?

2 Likes

They are talking about this folder that gets created only on runtime:
Other assets like StarterHumanoid and StarterCharacter will work as intendent.

2 Likes

Ah, thanks for the clarification.
Yeah, didn’t know this existed. Does anyone know why it was introduced? I don’t recall an announcement, less this is a legacy thing?

2 Likes