HumanoidDefaultAssets Folder to be Removed from StarterPlayer

Hey developers,

We will be removing the HumanoidDefaultAssets folder from StarterPlayer.

Currently, at run-time, the folder HumanoidDefaultAssets can appear beneath StarterPlayer - this depends on how you spawn avatars and which Humanoid commands you use. It is unnecessary for the folder to be in the hierarchy, so there will be a change turned on shortly to make it so that it no longer appears there.

We don’t expect this change to cause any issues, but please check to see if you currently rely on the contents of that folder. Let us know if you anticipate any problems from this change.

Thank you

111 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 13 minutes.

Is there an internal reason that the folder can no longer exist, or is it just to save space?

11 Likes

I think this change is unnecessary, but whatever you say.

10 Likes

I don’t remember there ever being any information about what this folder was used for by the engine so I never used it because I didn’t know where the contents came from, if they affected the spawned player, or if they’d ever change structure unexpectedly.

11 Likes

I don’t really know what HumanoidDefaultAssets is, can someone explain it to me? Not like it matters anyway (it’s getting removed after all), I just want to know.

4 Likes

It’s a correctness thing: It’s an engine implementation detail that should never have been parented to the hierarchy to begin with.

If it stuck around, people could start relying on it, and have their code broken if the engine started doing things differently in the future.

35 Likes

HumanoidDefaultAssets is a folder that contains default assets for characters, apparently. I honestly didn’t even know it was there, to begin with.

5 Likes

Ah, okay then. It’s a lot more fun anyway to make a script that manually loads custom character models when you don’t want the player’s avatar to load.

please don’t ask me to give an example of that in action…

2 Likes

Don’t worry, I already know how to do that ^-^

Honestly, there are better alternatives to the old asset folder and I am not going to miss it

3 Likes

who else has no clue what this folder even does haha

15 Likes

Why/what was this added for in the first place?

7 Likes

Im thought the purpose of this folder was so that you could create your own starter assets and have those be the parts that make up your character by default (before appearances are loaded). Was this not the case before?

1 Like

I for one prefer not having instances that don’t do anything existing in my DataModel without my knowledge. If you don’t rely on this folder, then this is an invisible change for you and doesn’t mean anything. Not every change Roblox makes is pointless… you could maybe explain why you think that way if you genuinely think so. :slight_smile:

15 Likes

I didn’t know that this folder would appear at runtime :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

I was aware of its existence but I never used it.

1 Like

I honestly didn’t even know this folder even existed

1 Like

If Roblox doesn’t break at least one feature every 3 weeks, they will cease to exist as a platform.

13 Likes

umm

9 Likes

Less instances = better

It’s not unnecessary, it’s smart.

7 Likes