HumanoidDescriptions do not work as expected with R6

Currently, if you attempt to use the HumanoidDescription feature with characters that have an R6 rig, unexpected behavior will occur.

I’ve been able to reproduce the following issues 100% of the time:

• If you call Humanoid:GetAppliedDescription() on a character with an R6 rig, and you apply the description returned from it to any other character (be it R6 or R15), the appearance will not be loaded at all.
    R6 -> Any rig type does not work.

• If you call Humanoid:GetAppliedDescription() on a character with an R15 rig, and you apply it to a character with an R6 rig, unexpected results can occur sometimes. From what I’ve seen it depends on the package you are wearing, and what accessories you have. R15 -> R6 does not always work out properly.

This works out properly, with expected behavior

This does not work out properly, the R6 rig doesn’t get the proper appearance. It’s unexpected behavior.

Here’s a test place that I used to reproduce the bug:
HumanoidDescription_Bug.rbxl (27.7 KB)

2 Likes

I’ll take a look into this to see what’s going on

2 Likes

I noticed a couple of things which might be causing your issues. The R6 rig you’re using isn’t exactly like the starting R6 rig. If you want to get the starting R6 rig, clear everything from your character in the avatar editor, then spawn your R6 character and you can copy that rig. Also, in the Script you have in ServerScriptService, do your logic in response to the CharacterAppearanceLoaded event firing, not the CharacterAdded event. With these two changes, everything looked correct for me after spawning my character. If you still have problems after making these changes, please let me know the bundle id or user id which is causing the problems, and specifically the differences you are seeing to how your avatar looks.

3 Likes

I generated the R6 rig from the animation editor’s rig builder plugin, so I was expecting it to be a standard R6 rig:

Yes, I’d expect that as well. That’s a very reasonable assumption. From the look of it the R6 Block Rig looks largely the same as the starting R6 rig, but the head is wrong. The starting R6 rig has a head similar to what you get with the R6 Mesh Rig. I’ll make some inquiries about the current state of the rig builder to see if we can get an option to generate the starting in-game R6 rig

3 Likes

Really sorry to necro this post, but I just found an additional issue to this (unless it was never solved?) This took me a week to find which is also why I’m giving this update.

Basically this bug still happens under a very specific circumstance. If a game allows avatars of both types, and an R15 player joins the server first, then Humanoid:GetAppliedDescription() doesn’t work for R6. This can’t be tested in studio as far as I know, because an R15 character has to join first, then the R6 character.

I did make a very simple test place if it helps at all… R6 Humanoid Description Bug.rbxl (31.5 KB)

@DJX_D this issue is marked as solved, please file a new one