HumanoidDescriptions: is there anyway to use custom assets not owned by you?

I would really like to convert over to a morphing system using HumanoidDescriptions as:

1. Swapping in body parts, animations, etc becomes significantly easier
  2. Many of my systems depend on this to load and change character appearances
  3. Morph organisation and handling can be greatly improved:

Currently, to use custom assets (such as faces, meshes, shirts, pants, etc), these assets must be owned by you. The problem is, a great majority of my morphs within HD Admin use custom assets, however since I don’t own the games my application is used within, HumanoidDescriptions fail to work. I can’t prompt every developer to take a copy of these assets as it’s:

1. Annoying for the user
  2. Impractical on a large scale

In short, is there anyway to bypass the current limitations imposed on custom assets with HumanoidDescriptions, without introducing a second morphing system alongside it?

3 Likes

Assuming there’s asset ownership restrictions for application of assets via HumanoidDescriptions like there are on, say, loading assets from the InsertService, then no, you do not have a way to bypass that ownership restriction. It’s managed on an area of the engine you can’t access.

1 Like

If this is the case, I’ll go ahead and submit a feature request, as a lot of developers depend on this ability to use non-owned custom assets.

1 Like