I am new to Roblox Lua

Thanks and I will never ask about time!

Thank you everyone!
I would rather not add a solution reply to this topic, becasue it will be unfair to other people replyed.

Other People’s reply are welcome on this topic!

I first suggest learning about:

• What almost every Instance does,
  • Learning about Functions (of instances and what a local function is)
    Learning the common instance functions
  • Learning about RemoteEvents, RemoteFunctions, BindableEvents.
    Local Scripts and Server scripts.
  • Learning about Services
    (Note, you can enable all services inside Roblox sutiod; when you go to RS Settings > Studio > Show Hidden Objects in Explorer)
  • Data Stores, those ones which are used for leaderboards, etc. I find this one of the hardest things to learn.
  • LUA Strings; this goes so deep, there’s stuff like: \n, there’s just too much
    as well as this.
  • if statement, while statement, for loops
    if true then ... end
    while true then ... end
    for i,v in pairs(...) ... end
    for i = 1,10,1 do ... end
  • Different kinds of values:
    – Object Value
    Color3
    Vector3 (BasePart: Positions, sizes)
    Vector2
    Enumerations
    Booleans (true, false – note if you use ==,>,>=,< or <= it will turn into a Boolean)
    UDim (Component of UDim2: Scale, Offset)
    UDim2 (GuiObject: Positions, sizes)
    – What nil is
    CFrames (objects have: BasePart.CFrame too, understanding CFrames: CFrames are just a position and Orientation.)
  • Every Adornment, Body Mover, Constraint, joints, physics: look here
  • Inputs: look here

There’s a lot more, but this is mostly what you wanna learn about, other people specialize in other things. You just gotta find your path.

For the basics just learn:
Strings, Values (and CFrames), Server and Client, A little bit of Inputs, loops and statments.

8 Likes

Thanks for putting your time into this!

I will learn all of thesse!

I recommend this guy, its really easy to understand him (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYa2Ouqa0WQ&list=PLhieaQmOk7nIoGnFoACf33M3o0BOqB38a)

2 Likes

Thanks I just discovered his channel other people have suggested on this topic.

@PikaGodly,

Hey, my name’s Matthew, and I’ve been doing programming for about 6 months now in Roblox Lua. If you have any questions, or code you’d like me to review, please feel free to message me any time, and I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

Here’s some simple project ideas I think you could do to get the hang of programming/scripting:

Easy:

• A GUI button that when clicked changes the color of a part (hint: MouseButton1Click)
  • Make a part that forever cycles through different colors (hint: Loops!)

Intermediate:

• Make an animal/object that follows you (the player) wherever you go (hint: Vector3/CFrames)
  • A game where you can click parts to get money, and then buy items in a GUI menu using the money earned (hint: ClickDetectors and Datastores)

For YT Tutorials, I personally like TheDevKing.

And also, a good book (if you want a book) is this one by Heath Haskins: Amazon.com

4 Likes

Since you are a beginner, I would recommend watching vids like “How to make variables” or “How to make/use functions”. I kind of learned a lot thanks to YouTube and Roblox!

1 Like

Here’s a scripting “roadmap” I would recommend using:Roblox Scripting Roadmap & Learning Resource List

1 Like

Personal advice: Tutorials do not work. They make more questions then before. Use Hidden Developers, study services, anything to be able to make progress and not have to copy code and not understand any of it.

1 Like

Hey! I have quite a few good sources you can learn to script from, they are youtube tutorials, the DevWiki, from here etc…

My recommendations:

• TheDevKing - This channel is like PeasFactory, both are quite good, but I prefer TheDevKing!
  • PeasFactory - As mentioned above, they’re similar to TheDevKing, they usually do scripting tutorials on basics etc, but TheDevKing also has a few scripting challenges and tutorials like: “How to make an E to pick up feature” etc.
  • AlvinBlox - This one is a rather popular choice, he has loads of tutorials in which he teaches the viewer on how to script a certain feature, or how to make a game. He also has quite a way of explaining services and other functions. I definitely recommend them.
  • Y3llow Mustang - They’re a quite good channel to learn to script from, they’re not like ones I mentioned above, they host Game Jams and sometimes even attend them, they also have quite a few tutorials on services etc.
  • The DevWiki - This website is by far the most helpful, you can learn to script by reading their articles and this also may help you during development. This is also an official website by Roblox.
  • Developer Forum - And last but not least, the developer forum, which is the platform that you’re currently on! In here, you can help others out with scripts, read other’s scripts and more, quite helpful if you ask me!

Hope this helped you, thanks for reading, have an amazing rest of your day/night!

2 Likes

I buyed the book and I m still reading it, it is rlly helpful and also this book aswell,Amazon.com
it has a bit of building and scripting but this is better. Amazon.com

1 Like

Thanks Guys. You guys helped me alot and I think I am now ready to get started with your resources!
Thank you,
PikaGodly

1 Like

Mark whatever helped you as a “Solution” so we can know what helped solve your problem! Anyway, glad to hear that you found a way to learn.

That would be a bit unfair. You guys all helped me alot.

Oh, then you could credit everyone and mark someone if you’d like to. Didn’t mean intend to take all the credit!

Alraight I edited my post with credits.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/user/PeasFactory/playlists He’s got tens of videos explaining everything in detail

1 Like

I honestly wouldn’t start learning Luau (Roblox Lua) I would start using plain Lua. In general, when you start learning coding by using APIs you will rely more on those APIs than using fundamental code. If you are new to coding in general you really should start by making basic things with a Lua compiler. There are also plenty of Lua youtube videos that show how to use everything from variables to metatables. I’ll link one of my favorite youtube series for Lua.

After you get into that coding mindset then you should transition to the mindset for game programming and start learning about Luau APIs.

Beginner projects

Non-Roblox

• Simple program that asks your name, age, favorite food, etc. (Using io.read )
  • Simple program using ifs, else if, and else.
  • Make an auto number counter using loops.
  • Make a program that solves a math equation then stores it into a table.
  • Write a program that finds the first 10 natural numbers.
  • Make a number guessing game.

Roblox

• Learn Roblox’s APIs what they are used for, how to use them, and how can I use them.
  • Learn about local and server scripts.
  • Make a part rapidly change colors.
  • Learn and use basic tweening.
  • Make a script that can change your character’s speed, jump, or health.
  • Make a simple obby with kill blocks.
  • Make a cookie clicker game. (With or without datastores or leader stats)
  • Make a sword or gun
  • Learn and use remote events and how to use them securely.

Final Project

Make a basic simulator with a shop, working tools, and game passes.

5 Likes