I can't bring myself to work on my projects

Lately I’ve been unable to have any motivation to work on my current projects. Upon reaching difficulties (for example, trying scripting something and not working or overall lack of ideas) I seem to slow down on development and just leave the project on hiatus for an undefined amount of time.

Do you guys have any advice on how can I remedy this issue? I really do want to finish the projects I once was passionate about but end up just staring at the studio screen doing nothing for hours.

4 Likes

Hmm, for example… i’m creating some rpg, normally you need alot of content to add, and the more mechanics, the more scripting and building it will take…

when i find myself in a situation like that, i start creating some tracker,
-what i will do first? second, third, and etc

-health system = 1
-experience = 2
-create the enviroment = 3

let’s say, for example, we finished health, experience system,

what about the enviroment ( oh i don’t have any ideas, how the map will be? what i will add? plants? grass, trees, houses, villages, castles, etc)

since you don’t know what to do, first, write it down, create some list, you can make a huge list, but take this in mind:
mark what you will create first.

-400 items on the list

-since i will build the starter area of my game, i will only need 50 specific items that i had in mind.

i use this method because i lost motivation too, many times… thinking too much, how the endgame will be, how X and Y is, how Z should be made…

Calm down and think about the start, if you try to create an huge lore in all of a sudden, you will need to follow it, but you will feel lost without a list of what to do

‘‘The end game has some boss, but how the damage is made? combat mechanic? animations, and alot of stuff’’

----- see? you will think too much on contents that you will make only in the future, that’s why you must focus on what you will create right now.

Ex:

today i will create my Map, ---- few moments later, nice, finished it, what next?
checking list
-Buildings, trees, plants, rocks

-alright i’ll do that-

this will save you alot of time, and before you create any complex system, pay attention, for example…

i will create Crate roll system for my weapons ( to get some random weapon)

-but bro, you dind’t even created any weapons, models, combat mechanic, and you are trying to script some Crate random roll system?

you will finish it, but after that you will need to return to the past to build some weapons, models, and create your combat mechanic, and while doing that you will change alot of stuff…

now what if:

you already created Weapons, Models and combat mechanics

• you recently added the Crate roller system,

you will feel completed, because now you can roll your crate , and you will get some weapon, your character will receive the item, and you will be able to test your combat instantly… now you see how important organization is …

-of course this is just some examples… there is alot of stuff to talk about

5 Likes