I can't change the chat open key from - to /. If I try to change it to Slash it sets it back to Minus

You can write your topic however you want, but you need to answer these questions:

1. Okay so, recently roblox has released a new TextChatService that has - as its chat open key, instead of /. Which for me is very inconvenient, and so I tried to change it back to /.

2. **I read **this post, but when I set the Keybind to Slash, when starting up the game, it just simply resets my keybind back to -.

3. I tried setting the Keybind option manually and via script. Still no solution. Also tried an alternative key that was near the /, but still didn’t help at all as those reset too, while using numbers or letters easily worked and had no issues.

robloxapp-20240117-1441204.wmv (4.1 MB)

I have added a recording of what happens. Here is the code snippet i’m using to change the Keybind.

-- This is an example Lua code block

game.TextChatService.ChatInputBarConfiguration.KeyboardKeyCode = Enum.KeyCode.C

2 Likes

Sorry for the uh… forgetting to remove a few default pieces of text, this is my first DevForum post haha

1 Like

Have you checked the solution in that thread though? Because I made a quick test and it worked fine, any key was accepted.

1 Like

That’s weird. I tried that exact solution and it didn’t do anything on slash or other symbols except resetting.

Are you using the newer version of the chat that I am using?

1 Like

I don’t know what version you’re using honestly. I use whatever is set by default in Studio. How did you change yours?

1 Like

I don’t know either. I just opened a baseplate and i had this weird new version of the chat that i heard was coming a while ago.

And i got this new version that was likely thought out only for Americans to use, as for me, the - is right next to the right shift key and it’s very uncomfortable to press where it is every time I want to open the chat.

1 Like

Update: it’s even weirder. Apparently the “Slash” option now turns into a “Minus” option without the text nor option ever changing.

If you change the “Slash”-selection to any key, that key is not accepted? Also make sure to not accidentally keep it selected and then press a key, it will change the value. So click outside of it, e.g. in the game window. The way it is selected in the screenshot it may change a value even though you have not opened the selection (which is expected behaviour, to make it easier).

1 Like

I don’t understand, what do you mean?

1 Like

I’m not sure how it happen but I had this problem once … this is how you set it back …

1. Open the Roblox settings by clicking on the gear icon in the top-right corner.
  2. Go to the “Settings” tab.
  3. Under “Chat & Party Privacy,” look for the “Chat Open Key” option.
  4. Set the chat key …
1 Like

In the screenshot the “KeyboardKeyCode” is blue which means you selected it. If you now press any key, e.g. minus, the “Slash” maybe changes to “-” since you pressed that key. You can click on “Slash” to manually select a new key and normally it should then be the new chat key (which is what worked for me). The explanation that you maybe have accidentally selected it was related to you saying:

1 Like

Do you want to change back to the old chat or just change the open key to the slash key with the new chat?

1 Like

It seems like you’re encountering an issue with a specific script, possibly related to Roblox. To better assist you, could you provide more details or share the relevant part of the script where you’re experiencing this problem?

Gotta love the chagpt usage here :+1:

2 Likes