Change Chat Open Key from "-" to "/"

Hi! Anyone knows how I can change the key which opens the chat from “-” back to “/”? It’s pretty annoying…

That doesn’t make any sense… The default key to open the chat is “/” or clicking the chat’s TextBox. Do you like need help on roblox’s chat system or on a different chat system?

Roblox have changed the key from “/” to “-”
2023-04-22_23h45_52

Can’t confirm. See:

The keybind can be set per-game. In any instance where it’s different from / and you don’t own it, you can’t do anything about this.

Likelihood is that / is reserved for some gameplay keybind.

This is wrong. Sorry! I’ve replied below with my findings.

I thought you needed help on roblox’s old chat but I’m still curious at this point.

It’s in newer games. Like, you need to create one so it get’s to the “-” I guess

Yea same. i dont get it why its for some people “-” like for me but then only in newer games. in my old games i still have the “/” which is so much better

This is a blank baseplate with the newest TextChatService on.

You can play the game via roblox studio, go to server on the “Home” tab and copy the chat script, stop the game, paste the chat script inside the service it was running on and do CTRL + F or CMD + F and try to find a keycode statement.

You can’t do this with the new chat. It’s CoreGUI and so it isn’t accessible the same way the LegacyChatService is.

You can modify the keybind for the LegacyChatService via forking. Not sure on the newer TextChatService after some digging.

I tried binding an action to the slash key using ContextActionService and nothing happens. Not sure what a game could do to change the keybind, still looking at it.

Oh alr. So you can’t change it I guess so then. Thank y’all still for helping! <3

Pretty sure it’s design, I can use “/” and “-” to open up the the text box in newer games.

I have this same problem on one game with a 2. “To chat click here or press 2 key”
Really need this not to be the 2 key. Can’t find how to set this back. Not even sure how it changed.

Found this … TextChatService.ChatInputBarConfiguration.KeyboardKeyCode

@2112Jay is completely right, the answer lies within game.TextChatService.ChatInputBarConfiguration.KeyboardKeyCode. I was able to change mine to the C key:

Manually:

To change it navigate to TextChatService in your explorer window and click on ChatInputBarConfiguration:

From there, you will find the Behavior section in the properties window and see KeyboardKeyCode:

This is a dropdown and you can change it as you wish.

Programatically:

If you want to do this in a script, you can create a LocalScript under StarterPlayerScripts that does the following:

game.TextChatService.ChatInputBarConfiguration.KeyboardKeyCode = Enum.KeyCode.Slash

That single line should set the key to / instead of -.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.