I can't get good at building

Try to identify what your biggest issue or main issue is and start working from there. I’m not that great at building either but I’ve gotten a lot better compared to when I first started because I realized that my biggest issue when I build is that I have no idea how I want my build to look like. Nowadays, I usually have a reference point whether it be another build that I like or an image which has helped me improve my building drastically.

3 Likes

Thank you all for all the replies on my post! I will be sure to take the advice!

1 Like

Hmm, let me see… I recommend that you watch some building tutorials, first. When you first build, it is just like being a small child lost in a maze. Alternatively, try Google Searching what you want to build, and replicate it in Studio. Try using plugins as well. Try using Building Tools By F3X or Studio build suite.

Of course, I have been building for years! These are the methods I use for building.

You can either like building or love building. If you like building, you will only build for others. I you love building, you will build for others, and for yourself just for fun. If you’ve been trying to build for 1 year, then try more. Here is how I learned to build.

1. When I downloaded studio, I just explored everything. Like parts, and what certain things did, like particles.
  2. I started building personal projects, like houses, stores.
  3. I made myself familiar with all the materials, and when something looks good or bad.
  4. I took inspiration from others. I would watch people building huge buildings and towns.
  5. I started challenging myself. This is the most important step. You can never really get good at developing without challenging yourself.

It’s also just really fun to play around with studio. Particles are cool to play around with, and so is lighting.

I hope that helped you. :smile:

-zk_Maxx

Then… Get good at scripting. Lol.

4 Likes

You can’t get good at building probably because you keep downing yourself. No one gets good quickly. I learned how to build (albeit I cannot state that i’m the best) overtime just by doing it. Gradually, your taste and style will begin to expand.

I find watching videos boring but they sort of help. Maybe to provide you inspiration? Your style comes from how you continuously build and what you continue to make.

Here is an example, this is my first build:

Here is after many years of just building (Haven’t watched a single youtube tutorial. Now you can see the change after just seeing other people’s creations and being inspired by them or just simply building whatever I needed to build):

![RobloxScreenShot20190325_202235179|690x388]
Cool what time and other people can do for you right? I hope this helped. :smile:

7 Likes

I like to start by doing simple warm up builds before building. I start my builds from just a simple outline and a building, then I go into details. The trick is, Be patient. Some things take hours. Do not put that tab on your studio or it will tempt you.

Hello there @Vaspeli! How is your day going? To answer your question on how to get good at building, here are some tips!

1. Talking with your friends or relatives.

One way I like to build is talk with experienced builders, like me! I am always a perfect, trusted person to go to if you EVER need help with building. You can learn tips from others!

1. YouTube

Luckily, there is a wide, caring world of YouTubers like @Alvin_Blox or @Roblox to help. I made a simple car using tutorials on YouTube! Check it out just click @Joshuaborn_2007 that name! That is my profile where you can check out all of my creations. Try inserting some models first and look at how they work. Now, I am getting off topic which leads me into my next tip!

1. Inserting some free models

Sometimes, you just need some inspiration, something to spark the fire of your imagination. Think something like “Tom built a drawbridge.” or “Kim built a game of a tale of a village.” Simple things like this can really get you set off into building! Let’s just stick to the road. So, inserting simple models like mine can really help. For example, I made a house, a car, a kart and I am currently making even more!

1. Freely building until you get good impressions of your model

Even if you continue building freely, you can get good, experiment with the tools and continue on!

1. Using plugins

Simple plugins like F3x building tools or Studio build suite can help! Also check out gap fill or resize align! Using plugins can help you 1, build faster and 2, there are way more ways to build great things!

I hope this helps! Make sure to check out some of my models or, check YouTube, use plugins, ask builders, use free models and way more!

Happy developing, new developers!

1 Like

It takes time to get good at something, more or less than for others

I don’t build all that much, but when I did I noticed that I really lacked creativity and my buildings didn’t look correct or practical so I used images from google and build based on what I saw and I actually made some decent stuff (and I still use reference images to this day with my UI even though I don’t build anymore and it helps a lot)

I went from building like this

to this

(Also, could we see some of your builds they might not even be bad and you’re being hard on yourself)

You could also try looking at my guide for help too!