I have a problem with controller joysticks

So it involves getting the x and y of the joystick. If I push my left stick to some direction, then quickly let go, the last time it updates is not 0, or when I let go, the final value in the console log is not 0, which means that if I push the stick and let go, my drone would still move even though the joystick is in the center.

Can you provide any scripts or snippets on where you are grabbing the Controllers X and Y

Also could be stick drift…?

I’m sure you can tell when I let go of the joystick. When I do, the value should be 0, but it doesn’t update fast enough.

I see. Can you give me some code to work with?

Sorry I forgot to provide basically everything lol

local lx,ly
local rx,ry

uis.InputChanged:Connect(function(input, processed)
	if input.UserInputType == Enum.UserInputType.Gamepad1 then
		if input.KeyCode == Enum.KeyCode.Thumbstick1 then
			lx = input.Position.X
			ly = input.Position.Y
		end
		if input.KeyCode == Enum.KeyCode.Thumbstick2 then
			rx = input.Position.X
			ry = input.Position.Y
		end
	end
end)

Looking at this looks fine. Are you sure the controller doesnt have some sort of tiny drift? If you are sure ill test it out myself.

Nah it doesn’t drift. I forgot to mention that if I very slowly release the joystick to the center, the last value is pretty close to 0.

Testing it now and I dont think it will equal to exactly “Zero” what you can do tho is string.format it

For example:

local lx,ly
local rx,ry

local decimalPlaces = 2

function RoundNumber(num) 

return string.format("%."..decimalPlaces.."f", num)

end

game.UserInputService.InputChanged:Connect(function(input, processed)
	print("Sasas")
	if input.UserInputType == Enum.UserInputType.Gamepad1 then
		if input.KeyCode == Enum.KeyCode.Thumbstick1 then
			lx = RoundNumber(input.Position.X)
			ly = RoundNumber(input.Position.Y)

print(lx .. " / " .. ly)
		end
		if input.KeyCode == Enum.KeyCode.Thumbstick2 then
			rx = RoundNumber(input.Position.X)
			ry = RoundNumber(input.Position.Y)
			print(rx .. " / " .. ry)
		end
	end
end)

I have only been able to get 0 a couple times by flicking my joystick. I think this is a roblox issue.

Uhh this didn’t seem to do much as it still doesn’t end in 0.

Change local decimalPlaces = 2 to local decimalPlaces = 1

Like I said you arent going to get exactly zero. Leaving it at 2 (if you are calculating with speed) is your best bet.

Now it usually ends in 0.1, but there’s a chance it could even go up to 0.4.

I am not entirely sure. This is on roblox’s end is what I am going to believe

You aren’t supposed to use the input changed function for all I know.

Though, I’m unaware of an alternative.

Hi! I came across your post and I was trying to solve it myself too since I have the same problem. if you’re still not able to figure it out by now. I solved it by listening to UserInputService.InputEnded together with the input changed event.

Since I noticed changed event will only fire if a new input is detected. In this case, the last millisecond of input where is Zero it didn’t fire it on change and it fired it on input ended instead.

Hope it helps!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.