I made a chrome extension that shows you crowdsourced game promo codes on the Roblox game page

Hello! My website where users can submit codes they’ve discovered for a game and then other users can rate them by how well they work, RTrack Social, now has a chrome extension! I’m posting about it here to get some early feedback on it, and to get it out there. Please tell me what you think of it, thanks!!

Preview:

24 Likes

Note: On the web store page under privacy practices, it says that the extension ‘collects the following’, the one there being ‘Web History’. To be clear, this is a massive overgeneralisation that Google does for some reason. You can read the extension’s manifest and see that it only has access to “Discover - Roblox*” (Roblox game pages) and “https://rtrack.social” the site the data is requested from.

3 Likes

This is really nice! But what does “press the Twitter Symbol on the left” mean?

2 Likes

These are explanations as to how you enter the code in-game, from the person who submitted that code. So in this example I’m assuming the way you enter codes in-game is by clicking a twitter button in the UI.

1 Like

This is actually really helpful for users. Kind of like one of those traffic apps where people report the traffic conditions on a specific road. The concept is actually really smart and it gets rid of the burden of users having to go through the youtube videos and all that.

2 Likes

Assuming this is virus free and no backdoors?

2 Likes

This is @SteadyOn we are talking about here. They are 100% trustworthy.

Issues

1. Also, you may want to have a system that auto removes banned games from the website.

1. The code tab doesn’t appear before I press the “recommended” button. This may be due to my extension. idk

2. What the hecc is this? :sob:

2 Likes

Chrome extensions are open source, there are a few ways to get the extension files- pretty easy to find out how with a Google search, I would send you the files but that would kind of defeat the point. But yes, it’s virus free and no ‘backdoors’, all this extension does is request the data from RTrack’s endpoints and alter the page HTML to add a new tab.

1 Like

… Ok well I will try it out a bit currently I’m on mobile so can’t really like try it out right now

Just checked your profile see why your trusted lmao

For sure would make sense to remove those games, currently hoping this will sort of happen naturally as I recently made changes to mean that anyone can like/dislike codes (previously only signed in Google users), so I’m hoping there will be a lot more ratings soon and they’ll be more accurate too.

On the second question, would be helpful to know if you’re using any other extensions, I know the previous RTrack extension clashed with BTRoblox somehow and this uses a similar method of cloning an existing tab on the game page to make the ‘Codes’ tab.

Lastly, yeah - since these codes are crowdsourced you do get ones that don’t work at all. On the main site all codes are shown under the codes tab, but with the extension there’s a built in rating threshold i.e. only codes with over a certain % likes are shown. This one obviously slipped through, but the codes are also sorted from highest to lowest rating.

2 Likes

I think it might be best to add a reporting system for anything like that. Also assuming voting is allowed to be done anonymously people can just revote over and over until it is shown.

3 Likes

I use BTR I think it was fine for me at least

I’d love to do something like that but currently I don’tt have the resources to respond to reports (especially with the kind of audience rtrack social attracts, I’d probably be overwhelmed by false reporting). There are some safeguards in place to make revoting difficult, but it’s a concern and something I’m always monitoring.

Also to note (not in response to anything you said, just to give some context) RTrack Social is a much smaller side project of mine and I don’t get as much time to work on it as I’d like, with working on the main RTrack site and also currently doing the accelerator. RTrack’s main services are not & have never been cash positive while costing a lot of money to run, so this site and it’s advertising are helping towards offsetting those costs.

1 Like

Wow. This is something that will definitely become useful for me. Well done @SteadyOn. keep it up

1 Like

What are you going to do about invalid codes though? The first game I chose had a code and was invalid.

2 Likes

I want to add ratings to the extension in the same way as it’s available on the site, it’s just very difficult security wise as I can’t really put a reCaptcha in the extension - I’ll figure something out soon though. As I said in an earlier post the extension does filter out codes that have low ratings, so the best thing to do is to go to the site (See Game on RTrack > Codes) finding the code and then downvoting it, this will stop it showing up for other users.

1 Like

What about hCaptcha? Would that work?

(not had good luck with trying to complete hCaptcha captchas though)

1 Like

This is seriously sick! I will be sure to check it out. Good work!

1 Like

reCaptcha would work I just don’t like the idea of sticking third party software in an extension on roblox.com … maybe it’s fine? I don’t know

1 Like