I made another custom character controller! - 2D "Sonic" engine

Probably a bit early to show it off as some of the animations are off and the camera is a bit janky but its surprisingly almost like classic sonic :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m just impressed i got this running in roblox…
Lots of bugs i know about already… but please put any you find in the comment below.
Also I would love to hear any suggestions for future development.

w,a,s,d - to move
hold s and tap space to charge dash then release s to spindash!

38 Likes

When I saw the video, I thought I was looking at the real game! :joy:

This is a really nice project you have here! I did notice some faint black lines around the parts though.

9 Likes

Looks almost exactly like the real game! That might be exactly the problem though. If your game ever makes it to the front page, then Sega might take it down. Maybe try adding some original assets to take away from that?

9 Likes

I’ve been interested in making 2d engines for a while now(that’s one more thing I’m a nut about-tally it up). I’m wondering how you did this. It looks positively AMAZING.

4 Likes

Does this have any mobile support? If not, try adding it. :wink:

3 Likes

wow, it is like roblox is becoming a 2D game engine!

4 Likes

Me too I thought it was real sonic

3 Likes

Yeah Roblox does some weird dithering on textures, i have to find a way to fix or work around… Thanks for the feedback :smiley:

2 Likes

Tbh sega is actually really nice about fan games compared to Nintendo… but yeh i would very much like to replace all the sprites with custom ones. I might actually try even pitching the game to sega, cos they did just publish sonic mania which started out as a mod/fangame… but yeah you are right in-being concerned… thanks for the feedback :smiley:

5 Likes

well its actually a 3d engine pretending to be a 2d one, so basically how people make modern unity games… it not made using UI they are just invisible parts with textures on them. Basically you are a square part, with raycasts pointing in each direction, if the raycast hits something it locks your position on the appropriate axis… Umm dunno how helpful that explanation is… maybe i should do a youtube showing people how i made it…?

2 Likes

yes mobile support will be added in the future, sonic seems particualy good for this is it has a very simple control i.e. one button does everything…tho I havent actually made a ui controller before so fingers crossed it goes well :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You should make an among us version

Added more functionality + fixed lotsa bugs… its not quite there yet, but its really cool to see how versitile roblox’s engine really is :stuck_out_tongue:
Decided to make it so you can run on the ceiling

And do crazy jumps from and too the ceiling by basically making him more sticky…

Also unlile classic sonic games i’ve made it sorta work with non-standard geometry… Its still kinda janky but makes for some potentially really cool obstacles and platforming challenges

6 Likes

IS THIS REAL :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:!
I hope I’m not coming off as a mooch but do you plan to open source this!

1 Like

I dont think so… but the ultimate plan is to make a super mario maker type game with sonic… so if you wanted to build your own sonic levels i got you covered :smiley:

1 Like

Ok that sounds like a great game!

1 Like

Yeah a video like that would get very popular!

1 Like

Added mobile and tablet support but i dont have one to test it on… can anyone let me know if it works :stuck_out_tongue:

Have you seen this one?

2 Likes

This is Awesome! Keep Going! I have some bugs to report by the way when i played this cool tech demo:

1. When you’re on a small slope you automatically go down really fast even though I’m not moving.
  2. It’s really hard to stop moving when you’ve done a spin dash and you try to jump but you cant really do that sometimes you just have to wait.

Also for anyone reading this, i recommend for you to turn your graphics to the lowest amount in Roblox to make the game run faster somehow. @PotatoVampire7797 told me that you should turn your graphics down so the rendering can go a bit more smoother! If the game is still slow, it might be a bug with Your computer!

1 Like