I miss being able to insert whatever I want into wherever I want

Sometime in the last year or so studio started doing this thing where it stops you from inserting certain things into certain other things. These rules not only make no sense, they actively prevent me from organizing my game the way I want to organize it. This is really annoying, and I don’t see the point.

My line of thinking is: I’m not going to cause some horrible engine-level failure by inserting a Trail into an Attachment. Therefore I should be able to do it. Studio shouldn’t be telling developers how to do things, it should be enabling developers to do whatever works best for their specific, individual use cases.

I’m not a child who needs to be told that my attachment will only work if it’s parented to a part. I already know this because it’s obvious. Therefore if I put the attachment under something that’s not a part, I obviously do not intend for the attachment to work.

79 Likes

Support, they should warn you of it (only if you’re in studio, not in game).

7 Likes

Maybe a little warning icon next to the object in the explorer could communicate “this won’t work here” without restricting where we can place things?

18 Likes

Yeah, is there any reason to restrict where items go? Telling us they won’t work seems like the only thing we need to know, and usually we know that already, lol.

4 Likes

Support.

1 Like

Apparently it is entirely impossible to put an attachment into a folder for the purpose of storing it as a prototype. This is beyond a studio UI error that you can circumvent with the command bar, it actually throws a lua error when you try to set the parent. This is totally ridiculous.

14 Likes

Yep, I know the source.

3 Likes

Bump

Another bump.
This behavior discourages using prefabs and requires using code to make your prefabs instead.

Any object that can’t be parented to a folder needs fixing.

let me put attachments in folders please

7 Likes

I was once again caught off guard and forced to write bad code in order to design around this unnecessary, arbitrary, and meaninglessly prohibitive restriction.

:frowning:

7 Likes

Had to work around this yesterday and I’m still very annoyed.

I want to have an attachment containing a light and a particle emitter parented to a script so I can clone it repeatedly. This nonsensical restriction is preventing me from doing that without either creating the assembly through Lua at runtime, or having a useless container part under the script to contain the attachment.

Please remove these restrictions.

3 Likes

Yep, we were talking about this over Discord and just about everyone, including myself, had wanted to parent attachments to scripts/folders/etc at some point in the past.

Also, Roblox reaaally doesn’t like Attachments outside of parts. I forced one into Workspace by editing the place file, and when I re-opened it in Studio, the Terrain was missing, there were two cameras, and somehow it partly opened the mobile emulator:

9 Likes

I found this annoying too, and had to change how some of my systems worked.

The whole system I made with my 2D to 3D Space system works off of attachments, it’d be nice if I could place attachments in Workspace or have some alternative to using a part as an emitter.

1 Like