I used to believe I could learn programing with this much effort

I used to believe I could learn programming just from 0, but after a year of sweat and effort of 2 hours a day did not pay off as how I expected. Ask me to create a combat system? I don’t know I need to use a tutorial to do practically almost every basic mechanics of a game.

I cannot tell what I’m doing wrong and it frustrates me to feel weak minded having to use tutorials even after a year? Is this even meant to happen? Am I not fit for programming? These are the questions I ask myself over and over again. I do not have a fixed mindset but this is slightly making me bend towards that.

Honestly I need some feedback because as far as I can tell I’m the only one having this problem and it’s been months ever since I quit learning programming.

Anything is appreciated, thanks.

3 Likes

For me it took a long time just to get into the mindset of how to program. If I were to give myself advice when I first started, it would be to focus more on how to use and what a certain function/service does, instead of how do I make a game.

I spent way too long trying to “make a game” at the start. I should have started learning each individual function and then making a game with my acquired knowledge.

Focussing too much on an end goal instead of what you should currently be doing, will lead to your downfall.

2 Likes

Before making a game, try playing around with all the roblox functions and classes yourself to see what they can do.

It comes from practice, I spend usually 6 or so hours a day working with code which means I’ve learnt to memorize many things but it’s sort of like lego you need to make things to learn skills from them and when you work on something you can remember what would be a good way to approach the problem, however don’t try to take on things beyond of what you understand like chunk saving etc…

2 Likes

I have actually learned to code just by experimenting with things for a week or so, and after that I had a pretty good base to create games

1 Like

Everything takes time, and everyone learns at their own pace. It takes a lot of patience and effort, too.

If your goal is to be perfect at programming/know all of it, I’m afraid nobody has reached that level yet. There’s always something new to discover, and pobody’s nerfect.

Also, I don’t think still using tutorials is bad. I’ve been developing for over a year as well, and still use tutorials for things I do not know, so when you practice using those things, you no longer have to search for tutorials frequently.

Just keep going, everything takes time. You can’t get better at something if you just give up.

3 Likes

I just followed some tutorials here and there and copied them, pasted them in my game, tried seeing how it was interacting with the game. Took 4 years and here I am, able to do anything on roblox because I experimented, that is all you have to keep in mind. Experiment and you will slowly learn how things are formed.

It shouldn’t matter if what you are doing is wrong because eventually you will find out what’s right

If you don’t enjoy programming, you most likely won’t be able to learn it fast enough because you aren’t dedicated.

You quit programming because you believe you are weak minded when you actually don’t have a goal with motivation to achieve it. You shame yourself saying you are bad which causes you to take less interest in programming. If you understand this be positive and experiment, know that it will get you somewhere. Don’t think hard about it, enjoy the process.

5 Likes

The best way to learn coding, is by just coding! You’ll learn a ton in the process than if you only relied on yt tutorials. Start small, and then gradually make your projects more complex.

It takes time to learn, you aren’t the only one, its been 2 years since i have been programming and its all just for me to ask the dev forum 24/7.

But i can see improvements, i recreated things i have tried to create 2 years ago and its so much better, i was able to solve a big problem of mine that i wouldn’t have been able to do a year ago, its what honestly motivates me.

Its hard to create a complex system without the forum’s help but i know i learn something everyday.

I compare the things i knew 3 months ago to now, i now know how to use task.wait and more! I can fix my own logic problems (sometimes) but im obviously not too experienced to fix everything without help.

Programming, it takes time but if you do it everyday, you learn something, you improve. Just create things you want to, try to create systems to want to, if you cant, come back to it after a couple of months/years and you should be able to see imrpovements.

You have to create games to improve, just keep doing it and you’ll get so much better! Just trial and error!

1 Like

Don’t worry man. Those insecurities only highlight that you understand how much there is to know and learn. I’ve been programming for 13+ years (2+ years on Roblox in Lua) and almost daily I get knocked aside with some knowledge, method, or something seemingly standard that I knew nothing about. That is the huge and vast field that is programming, I’m not discouraged, I’m enthused that no matter what I try someone has already done it a million times better than I ever could (that’s a good thing from a debugging point of view). Don’t reinvent wheels that are well defined, use the coding skills you have to write code to perform what you want it to perform, use snippets, or even entire scripts, and bash them in to shape for only what you want it to do. The joy is the accumulation of the sum knowledge of many bright minds and your ability to take bits from it and make it do what you want. Forget baffling systems unless you need one, only concentrate on what you are doing. Much of the complicated stuff may well have taken a whole team of people several months to develop.

2 Likes

Some people find this stuff really easy. I myself am in my late 40’s and everything I do in scripting takes a long time to learn. I get stuck for ages and have no idea how to even post questions for people to answer since the problem also eludes me. I have found though that through time and effort problems start to click in my mind and I can understand the problem. Don’t despair and keep up the effort as not everyone can learn a specific skill super fast but with time comes understanding.

1 Like

Step 1 is to learn your basic syntax. AlvinBlox has a series that will help you with this.

The next step is to step away from the tutorials for a bit.

Think of something you want to create and try to put together what you already know to make it. If you don’t quite know how yet, that’s okay! It’s okay to do research. The documentation will help you with this.

1 Like

You’re not alone. I myself have been developing as a hobby for 2 years and I’ve never made a game that I spent days making. There were some very basic games I made that I was proud of, though I remember the most I spent was only 3 hours on one (this is just a guess). I try to restrict myself from using free models and plugins because I wouldn’t feel right after. A few days ago, I was trying to import a glitchy mesh from Blender to Roblox. Hours went by and I gave up because something so small shouldn’t take so much time. Not even Google could help. I think there are some problems that are impossible - not in the sense that there is no solution, but that I was incapable of solving said problem. Maybe I would’ve asked around for help if I had spent more time on it and it would’ve been solved, who knows.

There’s a reason why there are rushed games on Roblox that are popular, game development is hard. Take a break from it or even quit if it’s affecting your mental health.