I want to use Animal Crossing GameCube title screen music for my game, is it copyrighted?

I need help! I want to use the animal crossing Gamecube title screen music for my tittle screen for Bloxcity! Can anyone see is If it is copyrighted or not? I need to know before I put it on there.

I would guess it’s copyrighted to nintendo.

It is, and Nintendo are very strict about copyright. Loomian Legacy used to be Pokémon Brick Bronze until Nintendo got involved (I believe).

4 Likes

I agree with @ClockworkSquirrel they are super strict about copyright.

but as long as you don’t use their images/assets you should be fine when creating your own similar title screen and similar music.

Looking on YouTube is actually a decent way to see if a song is registered through content id, although I honestly wouldn’t only base it off of YouTube. Here’s a video containing the animal crossing title screen music, and you can see, it doesn’t have any song info in the description which means content id didn’t recognize it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn6iiE3qEZ4

Here’s a Synthesia (midi) recreation of the song which you could take a look at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7-PDT7ebEM

Based on the results I’ve found on YouTube it does not appear that the song is registered in content ID at all, so my guess is that it won’t be an issue, however, its a risk you’d be taking.

Honestly, I’d say play it safe. You can use recreations of the song, similar versions, etc as long as their copyright allows for it, but assuming the original does not allow for this, you’re risking automatically getting the song taken down even if it is a recreation. I personally would not worry too much as long as you stay safe with how you use the song, but again, only do that if you’re willing to take the risk.

I’d also take a look at this post: Upcoming Music Changes and Copyright Related Action

Thank you! I contacted a roblox mod to see if it is okay for me to use the song.

I’m also scared about my game being taken down because of Nintendo. Nintendo is my favorite game company so I don’t want to be in a bad relationship with them.

It’s simple. Just make sure any assets you use are either your own, or you have permission to use. If you’re going to copy a Nintendo (or any other brand’s) game, put your own spin on it and make it your own. Why is your game better than the original? What’s the USP?

For example, I’m considering producing my own version of Animal Crossing called Lunar Forest, that I intend to add the features I wish Animal Crossing had. Although, since I started planning it, New Horizons was announced and released, and it has a lot of what I was going to do… :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Most likely your game itself would not be taken down unless it in and of itself violates a trademark/copyright. If you use the music, most likely what will happen is the music will be moderated rather than the game, and simply will fail to load in the game.

2 Likes

Lol! My favorite animal crossing game is the Gamecube version! I like the title screen music it has.

It should be fine unless you violate the copyright code in the DMCA Guidelines | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub For example if you copied music, logo’s, art, etc. If you name it something compeltely different with a ‘twisted’ roblox style. It is a nintendo game which as we know from histroy a Pokemon Brick Bronze game got taken down several times after copyright reasons to Nintendo’s actual Pokemon Brick Bronze game. You would have to look into the copyright rights of the game.

So if I use a remix version of the song I’ll be fine. Like with the piano version of the song and add my own beet to it?

If it has your own skills to remix it it should be fine, just make it so it isn’t litterally the same. If it is the same kind of style but quite a bit different it will be fine, most of the audios on roblox are remix’s of popular copyrighted songs!