Ideal aiming controls for an artillery game?

Some of you may be familiar with the game franchise Worms.
For those that are not aware of the series, you can find some gameplay here.

I am deciding as to how I could do a similar controller for the basic aiming.
My current options are:

Tap for mobile / position the mouse

With this possibility, the player would use his mouse to create an adequate angle to shoot. For mobile, players would have to tap on their screen to select the position.

The disadvantage here is the inability to do similar support for controller players, requiring a whole new system.

Too shoot, players would need to press a key for a certain ammount of time. The longer, the more force.

Pressing keys / different positions to change the angle

With this possibility, the player would use the arrows / press different position of their screen to change the sides in which they are aiming and the respective angle.

In the same fashion, if the players pressed the bottom half of the screen, they would be changing the angle downwards.

I am not sure about any disadvantages, but I feel like it would become rather discomfortable for players not in a console.

Too shoot, players would need to press a key for a certain ammount of time. The longer, the more force.

I am open for other suggestions and opinions! If you could provide a reasoning regarding your choice it would be greatly appreciated!

• Move the mouse / tap the screen
  • Press arrows to change the angle
  • Other (comment below)

0 voters

Thanks for reading and I appreciate your input!

3 Likes

I prefer the idea of arrows, but only on paper. mouse seems like it’d be better for players, but arrows just sounds way cooler

2 Likes

Agreed. It may sound kewl but sometime might be hard to aim with it. :rofl:

1 Like

if it’s in first person you can add a crosshair to the middle and the player can move their screen positioning to aim.

My problem with the arrows are mainly the fact that it would feel weird to like turn to the sides? There just seems to be something about it that is oddly insatisfatory.

On the other hand, mouse may be kind of unprecise (unless I can somehow lock the target, which sounds like an awesome idea) and makes it impossible for console players unless I put another system, which is not really my priority.

All this creates somewhat of a conflict in my head…

It is a 2.5D games, it doesn’t use first person.

Image for reference:

I’d say just go with mouse controls, since it seems that artillery is a far bigger player in your game than I originally thought(if I’m wrong, please do elaborate more on the game and the purpose of artillery in it.)

1 Like

You are correct! But it does not play the part - it IS the game. Artillery is its own subgenre, inside strategy.
I will try to summarize the genre.

2-4 players are in a proceduraly generated map. There is a turn based system in which each players gets to move their character and fire a weapon, within a given timespan. You have a variety of weapons to choose from, every weapon distinct from one another. The firing is usually done given an angle and a force.

There are a variety of other twists I am adding in my game, but this is essencially the core of the genre.

Also, thank you very much for your feedback!

2 Likes

Oh then I don’t really know. Sorry.

1 Like

i think mouse tap would be easier
if your making a complex game, then arrows