Ideas for Keeping Players Engaged in a One Player Game?

What are some Ideas for keeping players involved and returning to a single player game on roblox? The game I’m making is a game where your a Roman soldier who must follow orders and fight in battles in order to rank up and control units of infantry yourself. I know that most games on Roblox are multiplayer and I’m worried that a single player game might not get as much retention/attention. So what are your Ideas and do you think it’s even feasible to create a single player game on roblox?

• Yes - Its Feasible
  • IDK/In Between
  • No - It’s Not Feasible

0 voters

(The game will have a small multiplayer mode but it will be mainly single player)

3 Likes

Pretty confident to say single player games tends to die faster than multiplayer game. If we take a look at the game “Life of an Otaku”, it has a pretty relaxing gameplay and a very impressive building, yet no one is seeking to play it anymore.

5 Likes

It’s a very unreasonable idea. Obviously you can but you’ll just make it extra hard for yourself. A game may be extremely successful if made multiplayer but only little known game if designed to be solo.

1 Like

I beg to differ.

Yes – Roblox is a multiplayer platform that encourages players communicating with one another. For instance, look at the hangout category of games. A single baseplate with some uncharacteristic decorations, enable voice chat, and you get an active playerbase of 50k CCU.

However, there is also a large demographic of people who just enjoy playing games, people who do not focus on the chatting aspect of Roblox. It does come with it’s difficulties though, because single-player games focus largely on the game. If you were to put a single person in a hangout game the same as I mentioned before, you will never get any playerbase. If you wish to have a good single-player game, you must offer an excellent game that has a continuous playthrough so the focus of the game is not lost, keeping the player intrigued and stay in the game.

Examples of amazing single player games (off-platform):

• Tycoon games with very easy replay value: Theme Park Tycoon
  • Sandbox games: The Sims, People Playground
  • Story-driven RPGs*: Cyberpunk 2077, The Witcher 3, Red Dead Redemption 2

*This means no AFK and/or mindless grinding, but a continuous playthrough.

Long story short, I do believe it is much more difficult to maintain and keep players happy/entertained in a single-player game, since they don’t have other players to distract them from gameplay flaws. Neither do you get benefits from players playing with their friends. So it’s not impossible to keep players engaged, but it is a lot harder.

2 Likes

if you want an active one player game you have to make alot of updates and create features so players have something to do. otherwise, especially endgames, will get bored and eventually quit

2 Likes

Thank you all for your responses! Everything yall said is definitely true, and I realize it will be a challenge. Coming into this I knew, that most games on Roblox are multiplayer, most players on Roblox have immensely short attention spans, and that most single player games that come out fail miserably. I am on the other hand going to make this game weather or not it’s feasible as I don’t have the ability to create off platform (it’s much to difficult for my skill level lol).

So that being said, I would like to brainstorm ideas for keeping players engaged, assuming that the players have an attention span of three minutes. I want to figure out how games like Mount & Blade: II Bannerlord and Total War: ROME REMASTERED/Total War: ROME II keep their players engaged.

Most multiplayer games on roblox have stuff like loot drops or global/server leaderboards to keep their players competing against each other, but a single player game doesn’t have players competing against each other so I’ll need to brainstorm Ideas that are completely new to Roblox.

Total War: ROME II has a very cool “Battle Replay” system that I would like to replicate as it would make for something that content creators could come to and make videos on. Having content creators may be one thing that my game will really need to stay alive.

All three of the games I have listed have good diplomacy systems, and keep you coming back to try to conquer more land or win a war/defend yourself from Invaders.

So I’m concluding there. What are some things that yall can think of?

1 Like