Ideas for quests on my new game

I need ideas for quests for dialogue when you talk to npcs. I have some ideas but I am curious what you guys would like to see. Hey if its a good idea I will use it in the game! If you want to know some idea of the game I can’t public my game yet but I can show the post where I talk about my game so you can use the idea of the game to make an idea for yourself here it is. Finally Announcing what I am working on (give feedback, rate it, and give ideas! Love to see what you guys gotta say. Also roblox dont take this down I put this as a game design support cuz im asking for support on game design. I am just showing my game so they have something base it on instead of explaining it. I did something similar and an admin blocked so please don’t do the same thing (to whatever roblox admin is reading this.)

4 Likes

I have an interesting approach when it comes to that.
This is how I do it.

Opening = {"Please would you assist me adventurer,","I have a task to ask of you,","Their is something I need,","So,","I have this thing,","I need a favor,","I have a quest for you,","I have a request,","I have something I need taken care of,","I could use your help, adventurer,","I have a mission for you,","There is something I want,","Listen,","I have this problem,","I need a hand,","I have a quest for you,","I have a proposition,","I have something I need done,"}
	request= {" will you obtain for me " ," will you retreive "," will you collect "," will you bring me "," I'm in need of  "," bring me ", " I need ", " I require ", "I would like "," can you get me " ," can you find "," can you gather "," can you deliver me "," I'm looking for  "," fetch me ", " I need ", " I demand ", "I desire "}
	closing= {"I will reward you a ","Your prize will be a ","In exchange I'll give you a ","Your reward will be a ", "I will reward you handsomely with a ","I can offer you in return this ",
		"In exchange for your services, I will reward you with a "," I can offer you this as a reward, it's a ","I will give you a ","Your reward will be a ","In return I'll offer you a ","Your prize will be a ", "I will pay you well with a ","I can give you this in exchange, it's a ",
		"For your service, I will grant you a "," I can reward you with this, it's a "}
	--closing= {
QNPC2=script.Parent.Parent.Parent.Name
QEvent2=Quests.Event
QQuantity2=Quests.Quantity
QID2=Ques.ItemID
QReward2=Quests.Rewardst
	script.Parent.Text=""..Opening[mathrandom(1,#Opening)]..""..request[mathrandom(1,#request)].." "..QQuantity2.Value.." "..QID2.Value..". "..closing[mathrandom(1,#closing)]..""..QReward2.Value.."."
8 Likes

Maybe you could have multiple outcomes to your dialogue? Similar to how fallout has different choices on what you say, and how that may influence a response from the npc? Then you could have it tie into different things in the game.
As for quests, your game sounds like a open world puzzle game because there is no combat, so its just you vs the world around you. Different challenges in places people may not have expected to see them is always interesting!

6 Likes

PUZZLE GAME??? I love puzzle games~
There are some really cool free ones on the App Store (Apple & Android) go check them out!!!

Also when It comes to npc storylines and dialogue, I suggest writing the character first. After you get to know your character, it’s easier to figure out what they would say! For example. Let’s say I have these characters.

Billy Baker, Bryson Baker, and Princess Valrosa Rose VonSaphire.

Billy is a village boy, he was taught not to talk to strangers, he won’t have much to say to you on your first encounter but once you help him find his cat, he is more friendly. Being a child he tends to act like one. Your conversation is mainly about his day at school, what his cat did to the neighbors, and this new toy he got.

Bryson is a Baker, when you first encounter him, he is working in his bakery, he will treat you like a customer, but he will treat you as a friend after he hears from his son that you helped him find his cat. After a few more conversations you learn more about him. Like how his cat (pretzel) is named after the first thing he ever baked, as well as deeper topics like how his wife left him. (I don’t think this is illegal on Roblox. You might want to double check tho.)

Princess Vlarosa is a higher figure than the average plebian cannot meet by normal means, however, you run into her when she visits the forest and needs help choosing the right flowers. Her tone is haughty and entitled and she displays stereotypical noble daughter behavior. You run into her again a few more times at the same forest and you find it suspicious that she knows so little about flowers despite going there at least twice a week. You later find out that she wasn’t there for the flowers, she was there to see the florist. (Player-player romance is forbidden but I think NPC-NPC romance is legal (again, double check)

Feel free to steal~ (excuse my doodles)

4 Likes

If I could tell you how many times of written character ideas. I would be plain dead. Its been a while tho so I will keep it into consideration.

3 Likes

I have a few questions about this script. On the top do I just keep the one that I want. In the quotation marks that are empty do I just put the item. Where In the npc do I put this. Thanks!

3 Likes

The code I provided is just a template for constructing a randomized string. With this 3 part method the number of possible combinations is equal to #Opening*#request*#closing. This is equal about over 5500 different dialogue combinations. the variables I listed are arbirtrary and could be changes to suit your needs.
The only important thing this script is doing is identifying those variables such as QReward etc. Those are string value objects that just have a value equal to the name of the reward etc. Except the QQuantity is a number value
If you want to utilize the concepts in the code Ishared just think about this way. this code is only constructing a string and nothing too fancy. You have 3 sentence fragments. It picks a random sentence fragment from that table and it constructs it into a string using this syntax ```

"..Opening[mathrandom(1,#Opening)]..""..request[mathrandom(1,#request)].." "..QQuantity2.Value.." "..QID2.Value..". "..closing[mathrandom(1,#closing)]..""..QReward2.Value.."."

If you’re looking for something you can just use without coding I would reccomend you check out my interactive Chatbot algorithm. It’s a template of an intelligent chat system you can use to customize a chatting experience with an npc.

4 Likes

I know what you mean. :slight_smile: Eventually I found a sort of solution. I created an algorithm that creates random characters with a random Title from 56 different options and a Name from a list of 2000 names. They can be male or female and that determines their look. Also their title increases the likelihood of wearing an item with that string in it.

4 Likes