Ideas on How To Create a More Spooky Atmosphere

I am currently working on a darker / scary area for my game. This area will feature a graveyard, a mansion, and some other fun secrets. Currently I am working on one side, of the trees / details, etc. I already am planning on adding fog and music in this area, but what are some other things I could add to make this area feel more gloomy and dark?

• What are you attempting to achieve? (Keep it simple and clear)
    A darker and gloomy atmosphere.
1 Like

Yeah, all I’d suggest like you said, is making the sky dark with a good amount of fog. Maybe add some gravestones/bones as well.

3 Likes

adding random bones throughout the area would make it cool, I just need to find out how to make a separate skybox for that area.

1 Like

When first looking at the picture, I immediately thought of lighting and pumpkins. Although pumpkins are normally used for Halloween, they could still fit the vibe. Thing such as spiders, webs, and even bats could make it more spooky as well. For the lighting, I would make it darker and maybe even have a red moon come out or solar eclipse!

2 Likes

I was planning on adding a weather or day system to the games overall skyboxes, I think having a red moon or red fog weather would be a good addition. I most likely will add like random ruins that have cobwebs on them, and some bones and footsteps.

2 Likes

if it fits the theme you could add some areas with red lighting, you could add stains to the ground/path, and maybe some random broken items like a broken lawn mower, or broken outdoor furniture. you could also add pits/sinkholes in the grass area

2 Likes

If the map will be dark and foggy you could add some light sources. These light sources should be from a lamp, torch, other something else yellow like that, only kind of light up the area and keep significant parts dark. Below is how this has been used in one of my games. I think it’s more spooky than just darkness when the area is poorly lit.

2 Likes

Im almost done making my scary area, and I’ve added my custom skybox and everything, I think I might make another version that is darker and much more eerie to walk around