IKControl Joint Constraint [Beta]

This is nice, I would love it if it was quicker to animate using the roblox animation plugin. It would be nice if there was a setting that moved the time frame marker up by increment each time you’re finished with a frame. Maybe a keybind to move it up would be nice to see.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, we’ll see if we can make this easier to set up, and we’re also going to be updating the documentation on this page with a more detailed explanation of how to set up constraints on a character.

In your case, to constrain the LeftElbow Motor6D, Attachment0 should be on the LeftUpperArm (which is LeftElbow.Part0) and should have the same position as LeftElbow.C0. Then Attachment1 should be on the LeftLowerArm (LeftElbow.Part1) and should have the same position as LeftElbow.C1.

Standard R15 characters have built-in attachments that match these positions which you can use as well. For the LeftElbow they’re both named “LeftElbowRigAttachment”: one on LeftUpperArm and one on the LeftLowerArm. You can make your BallSocketConstraint use these directly. Or you can add your own Attachments that are parented to the built in attachments. The benefit of adding your own attachments is you can then change their orientation however you want to control which axis the elbow will bend around.

5 Likes

Yes, we are planning to add support for Bone instances

It’s should be efficient enough to use on a large number of characters or limbs. If you run into any performance issues let us know and we will investigate.

2 Likes

This would be very helpful for the community!!

1 Like

More instances = less performance.

I think this design could have been executed in a better way, but I do like it. It is a hassle to have 500 lines of code just to create attachments and constraints though.

1 Like

I’m sure it’s not a big deal and I can probably figure out how to fix it myself (I haven’t tried this yet), but will there ever be a version of R15/Rthro that comes preset for this?

I think it would be easiest if it were a drop-in replacement for developers to get things to work. Like with the issue I was having that I mentioned here:

1 Like

Seems convenient to me. My characters are already using constraints in this manner for pre-baked ragdolls.

One problem I have with IKControls currently (not sure if it is relevant to this update) is that I need to upload an Animation containing all the parts I want, even if I don’t add any keyframes, otherwise it behaves like a wet noodle and seems to not work how I’d expect. I assume that constraints would help with this, but, the difference in behaviour is still concerning to me and I don’t know what would be the proper way to go about it.

Really, I want the IKControl to behave the same with or without an Animation so that I don’t need to upload one for every model I want to use IKControl on, but it doesn’t seem to do that.

Is that a bug? Or is the animation somehow encoding some pose information that the IKControl is utilizing, and it’s an important piece of that? Would this beta be a proper way to use IKControls without Animations, or are Animations still required to get good results?

5 Likes

Does IK work for R6 rigs/characters?

1 Like

Man I really need a full release anyways good update tho :+1:

Yes, it does. It supports any rig that is joined with the Motor6D weld type.

1 Like

I think there should be an option to reset it in its original state

I haven’t tested IK with animations yet though, does it like allow for interpolation/blending between animations and IK?

There is crazy potential in this updated version

No way! Now I can finally fix the weird legs Footplanting in my script!

1 Like

Amazing! This is exactly what we needed for a long time. :laughing:

Does this mean the .Pole property will become deprecated in the future?

This has nothing to do with Pole. Well, it somewhat does, but Pole still has useful functionality. If your joint bends to -45 and 90, the pole can make it bend to the 90 side instead of the 45 side.

1 Like

Yes, IKControl.Weight allows that.

1 Like

Im trying to use an IKControl to create a squid, but its over 3 parts in the chain. if i create 3 ikcontrol instances it collapses in on itself https://gyazo.com/1375447b6d277549f3974bfea3feddb0

Can this be fixed?