I'm so Confused---How Could I Have Liked This Post Without Signing In?

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question.

Take a look at this:

I know that I became a visitor (aka I signed for the first time to the DevForum) in Feb 2019 (just look at the bot message), never before that have I signed in. But, look at the topic underneath–it says I liked it in Aug 2018! How is this possible if I have not signed in? Was this a bug back then that caused this to happen? I’m really confused about this…

Plus, this also confused the anniversary badge which thought my DevForum anniversary is in Aug, but really it’s in Feb.

Thank you.

EDIT:
Note: In Aug 2018, I was <13 so I could not have possibly signed in accidentally. The first time I signed in was genuinely Feb 2019 when I was 13+.

1 Like

According to your profile the first time you signed in was August 11 2018 not February 2019. It’s possible that you singed in and just forgot about it over time. The anniversary badge is awarded by the date you first logged which for you is August explaining why you get it in August

3 Likes

Did you share your accounts password with anyone? It’s possible maybe your friend or family member logged into the forums for you.

1 Like

I guess you just logged in and you never noticed. It’s possible since you said you were having trouble logging in that you did log in one time and didn’t notice.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s possible. The only way you would be able to like it is if you were logged in. And since you joined August 11 2018 it means you must have logged in August 11th 2018

1 Like

That sounds incredibly unlikely. Websites aren’t that thoughtful. Heck, my reminder app barely remembers when my birthday is. :joy:

Jokes aside, there really isn’t a way for a website to store that kind of information. If you’re not signed in, then there isn’t an account or cache that the forum server recognizes to dump the data for storage. In this scenario, the only place it could otherwise have originated is from your computer, but computers don’t store that kind of stuff.

Basically, long story short, you forgot you logged in in 2018. It is the most likely scenario given the facts that I can verify(If you say you have it noted down, or that you view the forum anonymously, I can’t verify those claims; they are inadmissable).

Happy trails,
CaptLincoln

2 Likes

Unless it’s a bug or corrupted database I’d go by what it says when you click on your own Devforum profile and hit Expand. There is a joined date there. Mine is accurate but different from the date I joined Roblox to play.

1 Like

There is no way the website can execute a request on behalf of a client without the client approving it. Websites respond to inputs by the users. That message would only have occured if you had logged onto the Forum at that date and time.

Here is what I think happened: You clicked a DevForum link, and it brought you to a post. You signed in to the website thinking it was a regular Roblox webpage, and left a like on the post. You then went back to the main Roblox site after figuring out this was different, and didn’t come back because you had no reason to.

I’m not saying you’re at all at fault. Things happen and memories waver. But I would be immensely impressed at any website that is able to, without user input, log someone in, activate a like on their behalf, and then log them out without ever notifying the user either by email or some other form of communication.

Happy Trails,
CaptLincoln

3 Likes

If you’re account age isn’t set to your actual birthday(I don’t know anyone who would ever lie about their age to get around restrictions), then it is entirely possible.

1 Like

You probably just forgot about it. I was able to like forum posts on here from like 2017/2018 before the automation to member. I was also <13 on August 2017 (when I registered this account), but obviously I am 13+ now. Plus it’s just a like; not a big deal. You can always remove the like if you feel that unsafe.

1 Like

Actually, you can’t remove likes after it’s been a certain amount of time (default for Discourse is 10 minutes) since doing it. A like isn’t really a big deal though, so I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s entirely possible the 13+ age rule only came once promotion automation started happening.

4 Likes

Oh, so you’re saying that I logged in before I was 13 because there was no age requirement, but after that there was so I couldn’t sign in?

Plus, it’s okay that I liked the post, it’s just how was able to I like it so if there is a bug, we can all know about it.

1 Like

I’m just guessing, since I was 13+ when I first signed in, but I’d assume that’s the case if you were able to get in. You’d have to ask someone who was an LTC at the time.

3 Likes

Hey, I was thinking about this post and I was thinking try checking this.

1 Like

if your loged into the account, then whenever you simply visit the website (most likely through link) you enter loggd in as your roblox account.

not as a new member, but a registerd reader.
and i belive it is that time that is anniversary logged.

It’s very unlikely that this would just happen. As others have mentioned, you may have just forgotten about it over time or liked it by accident. There’s absolutely no way for us to tell if it’s a bug or on your end. The last thing I can think of is impersonation which you can read about here:

But it’s very unlikely someone would’ve done it with impersonation.

1 Like

You can consult with @DevEngagementTeam about this activity as they have access to the logs about your forum activity.

2 Likes