Image to 3D model?

After looking at how 3D builder works, they basically take the flat image and add depth to it.

This could be possible in Roblox, you would definitely need to have some extensive knowledge in this field or do a lot of learning, but it’s possible. This follows strict rules for every case, which is something that I said is necessary earlier.

The issue with this though, is that if someone posted a picture of a sphere, they would simply be given a cylinder, rather than the sphere.

So again, if you have strict rules for every case that don’t involve predicting 3D shape, and simply involve manipulation of the information known from the image, then yes it is something that is possible.

1 Like

Yeah, i also wont be using high res sprites. the max ill be using for my game is like 32x32 pixels.

1 Like

The sphere thing will not be a problem cause ill be using pixel sprites where their resolution will be 16x16 pixels or 32x32 pixels at the most

1 Like

If you have strict rules for both the image and the 3D models, which is seems you at least do for the images, then all that’s left is for you to do some research on image APIs and how to manipulate that information to yield a result on Roblox.

1 Like

Right, I’ll see if I can figure out if theres a way to add depth to images. Also I’m not the most experienced scripter and I do not know a lot about APIs. Soooo wish me luck.

1 Like

Alright, so what I am assuming he is doing is something like this.

Untitled

It’s quite simple when put down to paper but it requires some outside work. I am 99% certain there is nothing in Roblox that will allow you to achieve this without doing something like this. My example is quite bad sorry about that. But you send the url to a webserver, The server downloads the image and makes it into pixel data. Which could look like 255,255,255,5|0,0,0,5
This being 2 pixels one with the RGB 255 255 255 and the other one with 0 0 0. The last number is the height value.

3 Likes

How would I achieve this scripting wise? as I said to the last guy, I’m not a very experienced scripter, and I could use some help with this sorta stuff. I’ve never manipulated with APIs or things out side of roblox before

1 Like

When I made my “pixel renderer” I used python and did everything manually. I had to run a script on my computer which gave me a .txt file of the pixel data which I then put into roblox and there I had a script which read the file and “drew” the image. Are you trying to achieve one time images or some sort of player imported images? If you just want 3d pixel art swords etc I would just go for the manual option that I went for. Otherwise you will need to do a lot of extra work.

1 Like

Basically trying to automate this kinda stuff. Basically the same way how you would do it on CloneTrooper1019’s place. I’ll look it up at we point.

1 Like

Just asking, For what though? Will a player be able to import a image and others will be able to see it?

1 Like

The game will be single player, so it can be completely client side.

1 Like

And if I make the game multiplayer, then Im sure it won’t be difficult to replicate

1 Like

Ah I am more concerned about that violating roblox TOS.

1 Like

Maybe we could make it so it only allows decals, so you take a decal ID. Find the image url of that decal. And then import it to the game

1 Like

Here is a simple way of doing it: Use a decal and just rotate it slightly in 3D, or skew it in 2D. You can also do it in an image editor.
If you need it to rotate or be fully 3D, use Blender to cut out the shape and just place it as a texture on a mesh.
There might also be other tools to cut out a mesh from an image but that is probably your most efficient / optimized bet because too many parts lags a lot and it might be too much to union.

1 Like

Thats similar to what I currently do. But I’m trying to automate this through scripting. Also I won’t be using images with resolutions that high. The most I’ll do will be like 32x32 pixels

1 Like

That sounds like a better game plan. I would recommend looking into getting an AWS, Of course also doing research on how you would achieveing it before buying one. Sorry but things are getting out of my own grasp on what I have done myself.

2 Likes

The resolution is not the issue really. It is just the amount of parts. There is no way to do this with scripting unless you feel like writing a script to decode and parse PNG files and get pixel data from the image manually and then create parts in game and … etc.

Something I used to do a long time ago was create my own binary image format because I used PHP (which had image handling functions) to convert the images for me (via HTTP requests from roblox). I used this information to draw textures in my rendering engine.

(No sorry, I cant give you the library. Idk where the project is and the script is probably deleted by now)
This however took so long to write! I had to make a local server (eventually used github pages lol) writing PHP code to get image data and re-encode it with a GET request just to decode it again in Lua.

2 Likes

basically what he said, But it is sort of misleading because you can automate everything, Its just

• It’s not free ( Idk might be some service that is free but doubt )
  • It will probably take you a very long time to figure out
  • It requires you to rely on things outside of roblox which is usually not recommended.
1 Like

Yeah, I see. I’ll have to look up on how to do this. May I ask one more thing though? How do people get these “builder” and “programmer” tags under their names?

1 Like