Implement a "src" folder for third-party programming workflows

“src” and the use case

“src” is short for “source code.” In a sense, a source code folder contains all the code for a game, usually with an automatically organized folder hierarchy. This allows the code to be edited outside of Roblox Studio.

As a developer, having to use tools such as Rojo can feel like an extra step when trying to use third-party tools for programming. This wastes precious time.

To resolve this, it would be neat to optionally have an “src” hard-copy folder associated with an experience in order to directly integrate it with, for example, Visual Studio Code and GitHub.

What my current programming flow is like:

Creating a game:

• For every new project, I create a new Roblox place and install Yucon Framework
  • I create folders for modules that I will need in the future
  • I download a copy of the game to my files
  • I run an application to convert a place file into a rojo-compatible folder (takes a couple minutes). Through that application, I pick the file, then I pick the folder, then it downloads all the content.

Updating a game:

• I open Roblox Studio and the Rojo plugin
  • I open visual studio and wait for Rojo to boot up (about 10-15 seconds at most)
  • In Roblox studio, I use the rojo “connect” button to run a local host connection to sync the code
  • I can now code in visual studio for that session, BUT NOT WITH THE BUILT-IN EDITORS

What the workflow could change to after a “src” folder

Creating a game:

• For every new project, I create a new Roblox place and install Yucon Framework (future folders can be made along the way for development)
  • I enable an “src folder” option and pick where I would like code to be

Updating a game:

• I open Roblox Studio
  • I open Visual Studio
  • I can now update the game

If this feature was added, the workflow for many high-grade developers/studios would be greatly improved, and it would reduce the number of services required to use third-party tools.

Source-code folders are used by industry standard engines; if Roblox is looking to be industry standard, this change is a step in the right direction.

19 Likes