Implement a standard linter for a consistent coding style

Currently if you are a programmer who just started out to learn it’s very hard to develop a consistent coding style that would let other devs and yourself easily understand your scripts and promote good practices.
This, in most cases, persists for a long time resulting in either code of poor quality or arbitrary style decisions which in turn negatively impact collaboration and learning.

Suggested solution: implement linter toggle option with the code guidelines specified in:
https://roblox.github.io/lua-style-guide/

2 Likes

Maybe I’m part of the problem but tbh as long as the code is thoroughly commented and indented correctly I’m good. But you are right that as roblox becomes a more professional platform we’re going to need to start coding at comparable to industry standards, which means following some basic rules.

I’m not a big fan of some of this stuff… Yes vertical alignment can be annoying when writing code, but it’s 10x easier to read & edit when your eyes are guided correctly.

Same goes for this. You have a lot of horizontal screen space but only a percentage of that as vertical screen space. If you can neatly fit entries in one line, do it. I value having short scripts so I can navigate/edit them much more than I value separating every table entry. Not a fan of this “guide” at points.

There’s some helpful stuff in there but there’s also stuff that looks like someone just had a preference and said everyone should do it like they want.

5 Likes

The vertical alignment clause is misguided. It’s fine as long as you follow the rules.

3 Likes

Sure, the coding style linked might or might not be the most appropiate for roblox, it doesn’t have to be that one in particular, but my point about needing a way to have a more standarized style still stands.