Important changes for the Animation Clip Editor AnimSaves folder

Interesting how everyone has been having animation issues recently with no explanation for why and now suddenly a new animation “Feature” comes out… wonder if this has anything to do with the issues.

23 Likes

What kind of issues have they been experiencing? If it is related to animation blending, they can go back to the legacy behavior with an attribute attached to workspace. I have been able to edit and publish animations without issue.

17 Likes

We won’t see this Delete Local Instances button until next year? The migration tool will then allow us to load up all of our old animations to setup for the new changes and then we need to publish them again or can we just overwrite our existing animations with the new changes from the migration tool?

17 Likes

Hi there,

That is correct. The changes described in this post won’t be live until next year. We are making this announcement to make sure that developers aren’t surprised when things go live, and, in case they actively use the data located in the AnimSaves folder in their scripts, that we can answer all their questions in a timely manner.

Animations will not need to be published again just because they have been migrated. This migration only affects instances that the AnimationClipEditor uses internally to save your work in progress, but we know that some users rely on those instances for some very specific use cases.

So, once this goes live and you open a rig in the AnimationClipEditor, the migration dialog box shown above will list all the animations that are in the rig’s AnimSaves folder.

The main question to ask yourself is: do my scripts access the Keyframe, KeyframeSequence, CurveAnimation, etc… instances directly, or not?

If they don’t, you can simply migrate all your animations. All the instances will be moved to ServerStorage and the ACE will allow you to open them as usual; you won’t notice any change. Even better, if you realize that some animations have been published and you don’t need them anymore (or at least, not in the near future), you can also choose to delete them. You will always be able to reimport them later via the “Import From Roblox” menu option. You can also manually copy them to a “backup experience” if you want, before deleting them (although there is no tool for that, you will have to do it yourself).

However, if your scripts do access these instances, then you will need to update those scripts to access the instances in their new location, as explained in the post. If you can’t make those changes immediately, you should ignore those animations for now. This will keep them in the original AnimSaves folder and your script will still work; you will keep seeing the Migration window every time you open the rig, though.

Once all the animations of all the rigs have been migrated (or deleted), you should publish your experience again so that it can load faster.

I hope this answers your questions. Please let me know if anything is still unclear.

Cheers!

24 Likes

This is a change for lowering load times. An instance attribute will likely have zero difference in load times to ObjectValues. So there is no problem.

20 Likes

Slightly unrelated, but will the animation editor clearing the clipboard when opened be addressed soon? It makes it very tedious to use the “Import from Roblox” option, because if you’re copying the ID from some Animation in the explorer window, as soon as you reopen the editor and click import you can’t paste it in.

21 Likes

I do not load the AnimSaves models in my experience where the players are playing. My rigs only contain AnimSaves models in my developer place which is just a baseplate and several models that I work on to animate. Will this affect me?

16 Likes

Hi there, thanks for your feedback!

We are very much aware of this issue and we would love to see it fixed as well!

Unfortunately it goes beyond the scope of the ACE. The clipboard issue is related to how Studio as a framework handles shortcuts that are context-specific (Ctrl/Cmd C/V need to be properly redirected to the active viewport/editor window/plugin, etc) and requires a shared effort from many different teams, which is really hard to coordinate, to be fixed properly.

We have this on our radar, but I am unable to give you a timeline at this moment.

23 Likes

Hi there!

For your use case, the best course of action is to simply migrate all the animations in your developer place when the ACE offers you to. If you have many animations under the same rig, selecting the “Migrate” option in the header will mark them all for migration, you won’t have to click every single one of them!

Note that you will not have to re-publish the animations either.

16 Likes

This is pretty interesting. I hope this will improve load times in my game, which has a lot of animations. Will there ever be a way to allow access to others to see animations, instead of keeping them 100% private? Animations ownership is really annoying to deal with in Team Create.

16 Likes

can yall add the “Press Enter” to save the animation directly when exporting it? it’s a pain that this little feature was removed. it made workflow way faster when saving clusters of animations.

16 Likes

xSixx will be mildly annoyed

11 Likes

Will we ever get the ability to generate animations without needing to publish them directly? Cause it would save a lot of headaches.

15 Likes

This is a great reason why Studio needs its own local i mean local no cloud stuff pls storage service that can be loaded between different places, or in a single game/place depending on how a plugin uses it.

Putting plugin related data inside one of the game oriented storage services creates a lot of problems with stuff being published that doesn’t need to be.

Instead if we have StudioStorageService (for example) that saves its contents to a folder in your Roblox install, I imagine a lot of weird edgecases like this could be improved. It also makes sharing code between plugins easier (though that might be better implemented with a different system).

19 Likes

YAY!
Pretty good update, i love it.

14 Likes

My scripts only access the published animations directly. With that being said however, I remove the animations when I move things over to the published game. I like to keep the animations around in case I need to modify them for whatever reason later down the road.

13 Likes

Not everyone animates in a baseplate?

So this is how the other half lives…

11 Likes

Apart from the fact that theyll have to migrate to instance attributes, making any developed workflows obsolete?

12 Likes

Right? I saw this and I was thinking, oooh, I can improve my game’s load time.

Checked my game. I have no rig in workspace with animsaves in it.

Apparently, I moved the rig to serverstorage after I was done making animations with it.

I wouldn’t think enough devs are leaving these dummies lying around in workspace to warrant an effort such as this to contain it, but here we are.

14 Likes

No it has nothing to do with blending…

Im referring to this: https://devforum.roblox.com/t/failed-to-load-animation-sanitized-id/2556354

12 Likes