Important Update on the Accelerator Program

This is very sad to see, I planned on applying as soon as I turned 18 and went on my gap year.

Everyone who took part in this seemed to excel at what they did.
I’m sorry to see this go.

Roblox slowly seems to be making developers’ lives harder and harder and quite frankly it’s a shame.

4 Likes

Rip the accelerator program.

While I never got to do it, through trying to become an accelerator, I met some amazing people. Congrats to those who managed to partake in this amazing program. Can’t wait for the resources that will be released to all of us instead :heart:

3 Likes

This was a long time coming. The cost/benefit to Roblox and community was never there. For the amount of teams that have gone through the outcome has been extremely poor.

The accelerator program always seemed less about creating games and more for the clout.

1 Like

This program was a game-changer (hehe pun intended) for me in terms of personal growth and how I approach game development. I’ll never forget the incredible summer I had with my team and it is truly a sad day to see this program closing. Thank you especially to Christian, Alice, Rebecca, the entire game insights team, and all of the people who put this program together. Roblox will always remember the impact this program had on the community and the platform.

9 Likes

It opened up a lot of opportunity for lots of different people.
Take 4slug, he went through it and has made some amazing games which I believe truly have impacted the roblox community.

1 Like

I have no idea who 4slug is. That might be an indictment of the accelerator program itself.

Sorry, just googled him and he is apparently best known for making a Squid Game copy.

F to pay respects.

3 Likes

I was blessed to participate in this program over the past two summers and it was a great experience that really helped us grow as developers in all aspects.

a huge thanks goes out to Chris, Alice, Rebecca Dan, Kael, and Erin for helping us throughout the program with everything we could’ve possibility asked :saluting_face:. I cannot wait to show the world our latest accelerator project that you’ve all have helped to shape and show what the program was truly capable of!

7 Likes

It became a dream of mine to one day apply to the Accelerator Program, I really thought I would have an opportunity one day, it’s so sad that Roblox has reached this conclusion. It was such a valuable program to developers and it always inspired me. Anyways, I look forward to future opportunities for collaborating with Roblox.

1 Like

Wrong, it only took one successful game per term to keep the program profitable. Roblox wouldn’t pour money into a hopeless program for years on end if what you were saying was remotely true.

4 Likes

Oof. This will be missed. Was hoping to get a team applied and accepted in an environment to connect with other developers.

Did it produce one successful game per term?

I am going to be honest I don’t see how the points Roblox has provided make any sense for the removal of the program. Sure I do think the resources and information inside of the accelerator program should be public but still it’s not at all the same then working with Roblox staff members who know what they are doing to help with your game development career. I think it’s quite a shame for this to be removed but yea guess not much anyone can do to save it.

From reading the comments above it’s clear that people don’t want this to go, and also like what a few people have said above that they have got inspiration into going into an area of game development that they never knew about before. Sure it is ok saying that all of that will be online for everyone to see not just program members but it’s really not at all the same.

Lets all be real here this is just a way Roblox is trying to save money, removing something that helps lots of developers that become a member of the program.

1 Like

If you read just beyond the comments, they said that they are releasing those resources to the entire community… don’t see how that is cost saving as they still need to maintain it all.

Approximately yes. Some of Roblox’s most profitable games/studios were helped greatly through the program.

Ex.
Adopt Me was an accelerator game and that game alone covers the entire cost of the whole program’s lifespan.

5 Likes

What maintaining is required? Most of the information that is included (I am guessing as I have never done the program) is things that are very unlikely to change so I really don’t think it’s going to really need maintaining.

Also I am 100% sure it’s going to be cheaper to maintain some web pages rather then having staff members work with developers (also I think that with the accelerator program you got some perks like money or something for your game development so that will be saved).

Forever grateful to have been able to participate in the program! I look forward to seeing what’s introduced next to help new/small teams get started.

1 Like

I remember wanting to be in this but I was 13 at the time, damn, can’t believe this is being stopped now, sad to see this go.

1 Like

To start, we don’t know what the resources are. Maybe they got webinars that developers could join to learn more which is already being maintained through paying for staff salaries. Websites also cost as much as web hosting + engineering team’s salary.

Rather than complain about RoBlOx BeInG cHeAp, let’s wait to see what resources they will be making available to us. Who knows, maybe it ends up being more expensive than the accel program itself.

1 Like

Sad to see the program go. The friends we’ve made while in there and the knowledge we’ve gained will forever be apart of ER:LC’s success, and I’m sure many other experiences. I’ll forever be grateful for my first and only internship during college, and look forward to what the future holds. With new programs such as the Game Fund really pushing the limits of development, I remain hopeful that there is more greatness to come.

5 Likes