Imported OBJ Model turns out too bright

I recently finished modeling this table and I applied a texture to it. Here’s a photo of it in Blender:

Imported to Roblox Studio as an OBJ file:

Palette:

The problem here is obvious. The output in Roblox Studio is way brighter than I had expected; I tried toning the color down but that had little to no effect. Does anyone have a solution?

3 Likes

Try making your game brightness/ambient lower, It’s probably that the your game’s lighting is too bright.

That didn’t help. I tried using the the same texture as this barrel,

but it still came out bright.

1 Like

It’s also worth asking what render view your viewport in blender is. Render view without lights can be dark, and Material view can be misleading as well.

Based on that texture sheet you posted, however, what’s your purpose to not just using Roblox BrickColor for this asset?

It seems like your game is super bright.

Try making it on a normal baseplate

I have added contrast to the planks to make it feel a bit more alive:

Just using BrickColor would remove this effect.

1 Like

Like this? I’m not sure how this is supposed to help.

Hm, I thought that might help. Sorry…

1 Like

Check to make sure that the vertex colors for both the models are the same? Remove the texture for the barrel and table and compare how they look.

EDIT: Oh, I completely forgot that OBJs can’t even save vertex colors, ugh.

1 Like
  1. Can you show us the UV? I want to rule out user error of uploading the wrong mesh (we’ve all been there)

2. If this turns into a reoccuring problem for you in the future, and you find you’re wasting a lot of dev time just fixing colours, consider changing your workflow to use vertex painting so it’s easier to edit the colours of assets in Studio while maintaining the nice texture

I’m using a basic method to add a texture

The shade of brown should be the same.

If you’re using the same image for multiple assets, you can copy and paste the texture ID from one (barrel) onto another (table). There’s no reason to have multiple texture IDs of the same image. I’m not sure if you’ve already tried this but it may fix your problem.

Such a headache, I have the same issue!
Three things you could try,

1. obv darkening te textures.
  2. changine the material underneath, metal works well from my experience.
  3. lighting settings.
1 Like

Not a fan of OBJ because of its brightness issues that might be my fault.
That’s why I’m using Vertex Paint and FBX to fix that.
It gives you an option to change the color, but keep the tones you had.

I know its unrelated to OBJ, but I just wanted to share this.

2 Likes

Would you mind going into some more detail on how obj adds a brightness to it that fbx doesn’t, why is this.
Does importing fbx fix it or is it the combination of the two?

If you have any tips on how i can vertex paint from a UV in maya that’d be great!

1 Like

Exporting the table as an FBX file miraculously resolved the issue. Something about OBJ clearly caused the problem.

(Thanks for the help @Aotrou & @EhhDmitry!)

That’s really interesting, the running advice has always been don’t use fbx in roblox unless you need to.
Wonder when this changed; Glad you found your solution anyhoo.

1 Like