Importing object animations for cutscenes from Blender

I have a game idea, and it got me thinking about animations and cut scenes. My idea was say your a passenger in a vehicle, and a npc is driving it. You get to your destination, then it cuts to a cut scene.

You both get out, close the doors etc, then walk around a bit, and unload your cargo, in my case it would be equipment.

Another scenario would be a cut scene where one character is setting up camp etc, the npc and the playable character talk a bit while doing it, and the npc tells the player to go gather stuff. It then ends the cut scene and the player is standing around where the cut scene ends.

Basically my question would be, would it be possible to animate characters, and objects, and make a scene, in blender, then import it into roblox studio. If I were to do this I feel it would be easier to animate in blender, because I’m not sure how easy it is to animate things that are not a character, within Studio.
[Edit: another thing could I just model, and set up rigs etc in blender, and import after done, would I need to use humanoid rootparts etc for it work also.]

Do that and use roblox for the lighting etc. I would have to learn a lot of rendering and post processing and everything that goes into making “movies” if I used blender, but couldn’t import the animations, but that’s fine, as it’s something I’d like to learn.

If it wasn’t possible and if Roblox released the video thing fully I could probably put a video screen gui or whatever it may be, I then would have to do it that way I guess.

Basically I’m not needing help necessarily, just want to know if it’s possible, to do animations for objects in blender with out needing all the rig set up from roblox etc. Just trying to gather information and ideas.

Sorry this is long, thanks for reading, looking forward to see what people have to say.

[This is a repost because apparently it was off topic in the Development discussion category when I was wanting discussion originally…]

1 Like

I know that there’s a plugin for importing blender animations to studio, so I imagine that this definitely is possible. You just might need to import each animation for each rig individually.

I see, I wonder if it’s possible to do it without using humanoid root parts etc, because I’d probably model things in blender for the game if I did it, and go from there, while using roblox character rigs for the people.

I know I have done a few fps gun view model animations but I had to set things up in studio first and use humanoid root parts etc.

I wish it were easier to do stuff like this without having to go through the hassle of setting up all the root parts and welds.

2 Likes

I use the Blender plugin, and rigs require a humanoidrootpart.

It could be possible to make cutscenes, as I have seen other players do this. Unless there’s another plugin I don’t know about, you’d probably have to do each rig individually and then combine them.

I wish you luck on your project!

Alright, I’ll play around with some basic stuff and see what I can do, since it’s on my mind a lot the last few days, and I have a slight idea now. Only thing would be after I get things imported and if it works, I don’t think I know how to put it all into a working cut scene. However by the time I actually do all this I will most likely have more knowledge with scripting different things, since right now I just want to experiment different ideas I get, so I can have ideas and know how, in the future

1 Like

A humanoid is not required to animate.

You can animate objects (without humanoid) and humanoids in blender and export back to roblox.

The said model might need a primarypart/rootpart (plugin should pop up a small message letting you know what it needs)

Make sure parts that are being animated aren’t anchored (you can anchor the primarypart/rootpart though if you don’t the model moving around).

You can animate multiple objects at once, some scripting will be needed to get this to work but it shouldn’t be too complex. Just make sure to preload animations so that things will run correctly without looking like a buggy mess.

However, you cannot render an animation in blender and export that video to roblox. Videoframes in the future might change this but as of right now, you cannot upload videos so you’ll have to stick with ol traditional.

However, of course, both humanoid and model need to be rigged to animate regardless of where its going.

This also applies to Maya and Cinema4D though some workarounds will be needed to get them to work properly.

2 Likes

Thanks for this input, this helps.

I’ll make it as a solution, but if anyone else has some input all is welcome, the more the better.