Improve navigation in regards to the the Plugin Manager

Currently, buying, installing, and disabling/enabling plugins through Studio seems somewhat fragmented. Plugins are bought through either the Roblox website or the Toolbox, can be installed through the Toolbox, and can be enabled and disabled through the Plugin Manager window. As someone who is very accustomed to the Roblox ecosystem, this is still somewhat confusing to wrap my head around, and I would assume it is a little jarring to others as well. Often times I find myself opening up the plugin manager to add a new plugin, clicking the blue plus (+) button only to be greeted by this message:

Untitled

In addition to this, I often open the plugin manager to install a plugin that I have bought previously, only realizing after opening it that I must navigate the Toolbox to install the plugin and that the Plugin Manager is solely used for disabling/enabling plugins.

I like the idea of integrating the purchase, installation, and disabling/enabling of plugins in a more user-friendly way within Studio, though I feel it is still somewhat flawed in its current state. To ease confusion, I propose that, at the very least, the plus button within the Plugin Manager window should open the Toolbox and redirect the user to the plugins section, rather than showing the useless message shown in the image above.

(Please excuse my crude drawings :sweat_smile:)

Beyond this, I feel that it would be beneficial to add another button to the plugins toolbar that would do the very same thing: redirect the Toolbox to the plugin section. I have made a mockup of what this could look like in the screenshot below:

Untitled

Additionally, clicking the Details button on a plugin within the Plugins Manager will open up the plugin’s web page in the web browser. This ideally should open the plugin’s page within the Toolbox, since the Toolbox page already has the option to open a plugin’s page in the web browser.

The final suggestion I have is to add a section in the Plugin Manager which lists the plugins that the user has purchased but are not installed and allow the user to install them.

I hope these suggestions don’t seem too pedantic. I just feel that these minor issues should be addressed since I tend to grapple with them and feel that implementing these features can help make plugin management more intuitive, especially for new users.

2 Likes

These are great ideas! We are already looking into doing similar things to improve the plugin usage workflows! New updates coming soon!