Improve Privacy Settings

As a ROBLOX player, it is currently too difficult to fine-tune your privacy settings in such a way that only certain people can interact with you in different ways on the platform.

As it stands, the privacy settings have hard-coded presets as seen here:

However, these are quite non-specific and since I have a decent number of friends on my list (some of which I am closer with than others, and I am sure a lot of you are in a similar situation to myself), they will oftentimes join me ingame when I don’t want them to be able to do so (e.g. I am playing with a specific person and don’t want to be interrupted).

It would be desireable if the privacy settings got an upgrade to allow for interaction filtering on a per-user basis or generally just a better way to specify who can interact with me and in what way.

If this issue were to be addressed, I could experience games with less interruption from certain people on my list when I wish for them not to join me but also want some of my friends to be able to play with me. It would be much easier than having to go through the dance of inputting my security code, changing my privacy settings to allow my friend to join, waiting for them to join and then quickly changing the privacy setting back to its previous state.

33 Likes

In addition to OP’s points, just wanted to add that mixing friend groups can be especially awkward, and when you add family members to the mix, this awkwardness is magnified. Unfriending people is not an option because they are my friends; it’s just that I don’t always want certain people to be able to join me sometimes. For example, if I’m at Friend A’s birthday party, I might want Friend A to be able to join me but not Friend B.

2 Likes

I second this, I have 3 seperate friend groups, all of which have different standards that I should be meeting. My current friend groups are as follows:

• Those who I friended because I know them in-real-life.
  • Those who I friended because I work with them on a professional level.
  • Friends I know from online communities.

Each one has a different level of maturity I’m expected to be at, for example, having my joins on when playing a ‘meme game’ would be detrimental if my co-worker were to see me play and join the game, however I’m perfectly okay with my friends I know online and real-life joining.

I also have an NDA with a company, currently the process is to just turn off my joins to everyone when testing so nothing gets leaked, however developers of the game often ask to join the server I am in, however I am unable to whitelist them because it would require me to allow every one of my friends to join the game which would break my legal agreement with the company.

2 Likes