Improved Asset Management Process Now Live

Yes, according to the above quote if you use my asset in your game and I archive it later, it can no longer be loaded into your game.

Well that makes the idea of free models pointless unless you are willing to run the risk of random content missing at any given future moment in your game.

6 Likes

It is right now limited to decals, meshes and audio. If they do allow models to be archived in the future then free models will be pointless.

1 Like

I agree, its seems awkward just being to index into each asset just to archive them; there should be an Archive button on the develop page on each of the assets (meshes,etc) which you can just tick and confirm what you want archived.

2 Likes

yes i agree that would be more efficient.

1 Like

Honestly this is a big step forward. But who really has the time to sit down and go through hundreds of pages of assets? I sure don’t. We need a list with check boxes so that we can bulk archive and bulk unarchive. It’d also be nice to get the ability to delete an asset once its been archived for x amount of days, months, or years. (any of those will do)

On top of this, it would be really helpful and efficient if we had the option to use the version control on our assets. (As seen in @TZ_Tazuk posts above)

Has [Make Current] next to it.

That would greatly reduce the amount of assets needing to be unnecessarily re-uploaded. All in all, I’m looking forward to what other asset management tools that may be coming.

16 Likes

I’ll be sure to use archiving in the future. A great way to protect and keep your most important assets organized under one section.

Place archival was nice but asset archival is even better. The update is very much appreciated. I do know that asset deletion has been requested a lot in the past but this is sufficient enough.

At this point, I can stop making an abnormal amount of alternate accounts (some of which I forgot and don’t have access to anymore) or aaset storage groups and just develop on my profile. Even though I haven’t released anything, I strangely dislike cluttering my profile with assets I don’t ever use.

5 Likes

Does this mean I should figure out a way to download assets I’m using and then re-upload them to prevent my games later breaking from archived third-party assets?

Archiving is a great feature to de-clutter the upload page, except the idea of someone giving assets away for free to possibly take them back at will is nerve-wracking.

2 Likes

I have several hundred things uploaded to the site I don’t want to be accessible anymore. I have to imagine someone who’s been on the site for as long as me might have even more, since I don’t upload many things. Some sort of mass archiving system would be greatly appreciated because doing this manually is going to take me an unreasonable amount of time.

9 Likes

I wouldn’t recommend re-uploading third party content. That’s asking for a DMCA. You should instead only directly accept the asset in file format, and upload it yourself, or get them to upload it under the group.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s not going to be fun. It’s another reason to not use free assets, even though there’s a wealth of resources out there. It’s really convenient to be able to get something on the fly, especially with assets you need to pay for, like audio.

Free assets are technically in the public domain, so I don’t think they should be allowed to be archived. Free assets should be free forever, and if an asset has copyrighted content in it, it should be dealt with by the moderators.

I know this affects things like contract work, but people can use things like Team Create nowadays to do stuff like that. Free assets should permanently be a resource for everyone.

6 Likes

Yeah like @SenseiWarrior asked above, does archiving an asset prevent the creator from using the asset as well?

If audio is given an automatic copyright takedown, does that count as a DMCA strike, or does it only apply for manual claims?

9 Likes

I don’t actually understand the purpose of this. The same thing could be previously done by making the asset in question copylocked and removing it from your games. Right now, all it does is remove assets from the games using them and cause errors in case the creator doesn’t edit the place manually, with the only advantage being that it hides it entirelly from other users.

As @T0ny said, we need an ability to permanently delete an asset from our inventory. Also, considering that anyone willing to archive anything will probably have 10 or more assets to deal with, we need a way to apply this for multiple assets.

2 Likes

Now I see a few problems with this approach. If you commission someone and they convert unions to mesh parts, or they create decals and etc… for you under this commission and upload it. Then they can proceed and archive this asset without you knowing AND completely stop you from being able to use it.

Now a work-around that could fix this, would be if you own the asset you can still use it and proceed with it. Seeing how it stops the developer themselves from using their own asset and makes it basically disappear from the website seems a bit weird overall. I’d like two split categories where one being my normal assets and one being my archived and still being able to use it. Would help with organizing assets too; say for a special unreleased game.

Having this is all nice, but as I stated in the commission department it forces you to have to export and upload these assets individually yourself and creates a bit of a process. I’m looking forward to this, and hopefully improvements to it in the future.

Edit: Along with the archived item, say after 1-3 months allow us to permanently delete the item off of roblox. I have so many duplicate images and things I don’t need I’d love to get rid of!

3 Likes

YES. Finally, we can remove items we no longer want without having to go through a long process of back and forth emails. Thank you.

Developers should be forced to private an asset before archiving it as the public library should not be affected by this.

3 Likes

This will be beneficial for developers, but not for asset thieves.

1 Like

Finally, and it only took you guys years until big developers said something about it to actually make it happen! Thank you.