Improved Mover Constraints: Enhancing Stability and Network Ownership

If I disable AlignPosition on the Client I need to disable it on the Server as well for a specific thing.

If I could somehow visualize physics parts from client and server at the same time, instead of server views it would confuse my head less.

16 Likes

I think it’s great that they want to fix some bugs or glitches in the physics, I like that they give work to this kind of things as well!

20 Likes

Finally, after all this time. I can’t believe it.

14 Likes

Will parts on client still fall asleep very easily? Because I have a game with an explosion on the client and the parts get stuck the air because they fall asleep, but when the explosion happens on the server no parts are falling asleep and the explosion goes smoothly.

16 Likes

feeling kinda dumb, cause i was thinking how the heck are you guys making knockbacks so smooth? and it turned out that yall were simply using body movers.

I researched a lot to find nothing new, this problem with LinearVelocity is 100% news to me, and the fact that body movers got deprecated just made it worse to find any solution cause in my head, I didn’t wanted to revert, not knowing they are still better right now.

14 Likes

Why do we need to make the transition again? In every use case I’ve encountered, legacy movers are easier to use and have more varied usage.

11 Likes

You can already do this via scripting, eg catch the part getting replicated to client, hide it and clone a local copy w/physics.

9 Likes

Ikr, I’ve tried this already but it’s painful when it comes to reconnecting multiple attachments, movers etc. after cloning. Such option could be implemented by adding a new Network Ownership call variant such as :SetNetworkOwner(true) on the server where “true” would stand for individual client sided replication on each client.

12 Likes

this is absolutely great! will you ever fix PrismaticConstraints deleting attached parts that have too much mass though? I’ve wanted this to be fixed for a long time.

11 Likes

Now that you are looking at mover constraints, could you make AngularVelocities to be able to not set a torque on ALL axis´? the old BodyAngularVelocity allowed this, and i think a big downside over the new AngularVelocity is that you can’t set a MaxTorque via a Vector3, allowing the user to just set torque in the axis’ they want.

21 Likes

What even was the purpose of deprecating BodyMovers? i would say that this change had the opposite effects than intended

10 Likes

This would vastly improve my boat physics!

11 Likes

this looks very promising, my npcs have a tendency to have delayed movements due to latency and the solution was always to set ownership to the server, but even then it still looks wonky.

hopefully with this new rollout they can soon look much more fluid with their movements.

5 Likes

Yeah, can we please get a 0 attachment mode for the mover constraints? bodymovers didnt need you to do that nonsense.

18 Likes